Phrasal verbs with MESS! Learn mess about meaning, mess around meaning, mess up meaning, mess with meaning with examples and ESL printable worksheets in English.
Common Phrasal Verbs with MESS
List of useful phrasal verbs with the word Mess.
Mess about Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Misbehave
- Example: Kids! Stop messing about and do your work!
- Meaning: Be in a casual non-committal relationship
- Example: Anna and I are just messing about; this isn’t going to last.
- Meaning: Play with; to toy with; to waste the time of (a person)
- Example: Stop messing me about and give me a straight answer!
Mess around Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Fiddle idly
- Example: These guys don’t mess around! They finished the whole job in ten minutes.
- Meaning: Joke, kid, or play
- Example: Don’t mess around with electricity if you don’t understand it.
- Meaning: Have a sexual relationship, especially one which is non-commital
- Example: Rumor has it that he’s messing around with his secretary.
Mess up Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Make a mess of; to untidy, disorder, soil, or muss
- Example: The afternoon breeze messed up my hair.
- Meaning: Cause a problem with; to introduce an error or mistake in; to make muddled or confused; spoil; ruin
- Example: The change messed something up, and it’s not working anymore.
- Meaning: Botch, bungle; to perform poorly on
- Example: Well, I messed up my solo, but otherwise it was a good concert.
- Meaning: Make a mistake; to do something incorrectly; to perform poorly
- Example: She messed up on her final exam.
- Meaning: Cause (another person) to make unwanted mistakes in a given task, usually through distraction or obnoxious behavior
- Example: Stop bumping me! You keep messing me up!
- Meaning: Damage; injure
- Example: He messed up his elbow at the track meet.
- Meaning: Manhandle; beat up; rough up
- Example: Her brother’s friends messed him up a little after he cheated on her.
- Meaning: Discombobulate, utterly confuse, or confound psychologically; to throw into a state of mental disarray
- Example: That girl totally messed me up, man. I’m not sure who I am anymore.
Mess with Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Interfere with
- Example: Don’t mess with the controls. I just got everything adjusted correctly.
- Meaning: Diss; to put down
- Example: Hey! Quit messing with my brother.
- Meaning: Joke around with or dupe someone, in either a friendly or unfriendly manner
- Example: Don’t worry, I’m just messing with you.