Phrasal verbs with PULL! Learn pull ahead meaning, pull apart meaning, pull away meaning, pull in meaning, pull off meaning, pull on meaning, pull out meaning, pull over meaning, pull up meaning with examples and ESL printable pictures.
Phrasal Verbs with PULL
List of commonly used phrasal verbs with PULL in English.
Pull ahead, Pull apart Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Start being in a winning position (e.g. in a race or competition)
- Example: After being neck-and-neck the whole race, Gibbs managed to pull ahead in the final lap.
- Meaning: Become separated as a result of pulling
- Example: A weak rope will pull apart.
- Meaning: Rigorously investigate the basis of an idea or theory
- Example: Starting with a couple of inconsistencies, the detective began to pull apart his alibi.
Pull away, Pull in Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Move ahead
- Example: Schumacher is beginning to pull away from the rest of the racers.
- Meaning: Pull something, so that comes inside
- Example: After falling out of the boat, the crew pulled him in.
- Meaning: Earn
- Example: He pulls in a lot of money.
- Meaning: Approach a station
- Example: Quick! The train’s pulling in.
Pull off Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Remove by pulling
- Example: As soon as she got home, she pulled off her clothes.
- Meaning: Achieve; to succeed at something difficult
- Example: Six pages is a lot to write in one night. Do you think she can pull it off?
- Meaning: Turn off a road
- Example: After about a mile, we pulled off the main road onto a dirt track.
- Meaning: Begin moving and then move away; to pull away
- Example: As the police approached, the car pulled off and sped away into the distance.
Pull on, Pull out Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Put on (clothes) by tugging
- Example: I pulled on my winter coat before stepping out into the snow.
- Meaning: Withdraw; especially of military forces; to retreat
- Example: The troops pulled out of the conflict.
- Meaning: Use coitus interrupt us as a method of birth control
- Example: With a tremendous groan, he pulled out and ejaculated all over her belly.
- Meaning: Remove something from a container
- Example: He pulled out his gun before she had a chance to scream.
- Meaning: Maneuver a vehicle from the side of a road onto the lane
- Example: When joining a road, you should check for traffic before pulling out.
Pull over Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Come to a stop, and turn off the road
- Example: Can you pull over just after the post office? My house is next door.
- Meaning: Cause to pull over
- Example: Do you know why we pulled you over?
Pull up Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Lift upwards or vertically
- Example: I pull up the level when I want to make my car go into first gear.
- Meaning: Pull forward
- Example: Pull up a bench and have a seat.
- Meaning: Retrieve; get
- Example: Pull up that website for me, it looks quite interesting.
- Meaning: Drive close towards something, especially a curb
- Example: Pull up to that curb slowly; you don’t want to scratch that other car.
Phrasal Verbs with PULL | Images
Useful phrasal verbs with PULL | Image 1
Useful phrasal verbs with PULL | Image 2