Phrasal verbs with PUT! Learn put into meaning, put across meaning, put aside meaning, put asunder meaning, put away meaning, put back meaning, put by meaning, put down meaning, put forward meaning, put in meaning, put off meaning, put up meaning…with examples and ESL printable pictures.
Phrasal Verbs with PUT
List of commonly used phrasal verbs with PUT in English:
Put into, Put across, Put aside, Put asunder Meaning & Examples
Put (effort) into
- Meaning: To try
- Example: I put a lot of work into the speech.
- Meaning: Explain or state something clearly and understandably
- Example: All good communicators try to use popular, well-understood examples to put across complex ideas.
- Meaning: Save (money)
- Example: I try to put a few dollars aside each week, just in case I need money in an emergency.
- Meaning: Ignore or intentionally disregard (something), temporarily or permanently
- Example: Let’s put our differences aside for the moment, and get this project finished.
- Meaning: Sunder; disjoin; separate; disunite; divorce; annul; dissolve
- Example: What God hath joined together, let no man put asunder.
Put away Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Place out of the way, clean up
- Example: I put the clothes away so as to neaten the room.
- Meaning: Store, add to one’s stores for later use
- Example: Preparing for the worst, they put away food for the winter.
- Meaning: Consume (food or drink), especially in large quantities
- Example: You wouldn’t think such a small person could put away so much food.
- Meaning: Send (someone) to prison
- Example: After he was convicted, they put him away for 10 years.
- Meaning: Knock out an opponent
- Example: He put away his opponent in the first round.
- Meaning: Take a large lead in a game, especially enough to guarantee victory
- Example: They put the game away by scoring three touchdowns in the fourth quarter.
Put back Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Return something to its original place
- Example: He carefully put the vase back on the shelf.
Put back (UK)
- Meaning: Postpone an arranged event or appointment
- Example: The meeting has been put back to 5.00 pm.
- Meaning: Drink fast; to knock down alcohol
- Example: You’ll need to put that drink back quickly; it’s very nearly closing time.
- Meaning: Change the time in a time zone to an earlier time
- Example: Don’t forget that this Sunday we put the clocks back an hour.
Put by Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Preserve food by canning, freezing, drying, etc.
- Example: Our family has been putting food by for generations.
- Meaning: Perform an action without attracting attention
- Example: I managed to put that transaction by accounts payable.
- Meaning: Save money
- Example: I have put a few hundred pounds by for a rainy day.
- Meaning: Run a ship aground intentionally to avoid a collision
- Example: The Bow Spring put by to avoid colliding with the Manzanillo II.
Put down, Put down as, Put down for, Put down to Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Insult, belittle, or demean
- Example: They frequently put down their little sister for walking slowly.
- Meaning: Pay
- Example: We put down a $1,000 deposit.
- Meaning: Halt, eliminate, stop, or squelch, often by force
- Example: The government quickly put down the insurrection.
- Meaning: Euthanize (an animal)
- Example: Rex was in so much pain, they had to put him down.
- Meaning: Write (something)
- Example: Put down the first thing you think of on this piece of paper.
- Meaning: Terminate a call; to hang up.
- Example: Don’t put the phone down. I want a quick word with him,too.
- Meaning: Add a name to a list
- Example: I’ve put myself down for the new Spanish conversation course.
- Meaning: Make prices, or taxes, lower
- Example: BP are putting petrol and diesel down in what could be the start of a price war.
- Meaning: Place a baby somewhere to sleep
- Example: I had just put Mary down when you rang. So now she’s crying again.
- Meaning: Land
- Example: The pilot managed to put down in a nearby farm field.
- Meaning: Drop someone off, or let them out of a vehicle
- Example: The taxi put him down outside the hotel.
- Meaning: Cease, temporarily or permanently, reading (a book)
- Example: I was unable to put down The Stand: it was that exciting.
Put down as
- Meaning: Assume someone has a particular character from very little information
- Example: I put him down as ignorant, but then discovered he is, in fact, a university professor!
Put down for
- Meaning: Record that someone has offered to help, or contribute something
- Example: Put me down for one of the drivers.
Put down to
- Meaning: State the cause of a situation
- Example: I put the high crime rate down to the high unemployment.
Put forward Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Propose for consideration
- Example: The Prime Minister put forward new plans to tackle corruption.
- Meaning: Change the time in a time zone to a later time
- Example: Don’t forget that this Sunday we put the clocks forward an hour.
Put in, Put in practice Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Place inside
- Example: Just put in the key for the ignition and turn it.
- Meaning: Apply, request, or submit
- Example: I’m going to the bank to put in for a transfer.
- Meaning: Contribute
- Example: I put in an extra hour at work today.
- Meaning: Call at, arrive at, or enter a place (e.g., to enter a harbor or port)
- Example: The ship puts in to port today.
Put in practice
- Meaning: Make (something) a practical reality
- Example: But there remain two problems to resolve before the plan can be put into practice.
Put off Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Procrastinate
- Example: Don’t put off your homework to the last minute.
- Meaning: Delay (a task, event, etc.)
- Example: The storm put the game off by a week.
- Meaning: Distract; to disturb the concentration of
- Example: Please be quiet. I’m trying to concentrate and you’re putting me off.
- Meaning: Cause to dislike; to discourage (from doing)
- Example: Almost drowning put him off swimming.
Put on Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Don (clothing, equipment or the like)
- Example: Why don’t you put on your jacket. It’s cold.
- Meaning: Fool, kid, deceive
- Example: You must be putting me on.
- Meaning: Assume, adopt or affect; to behave in a particular way as a pretense
- Example: Why are you putting on that silly voice?
- Meaning: Play (a recording)
- Example: I’ll put on your favorite record.
- Meaning: Initiate cooking or warming, especially on a stovetop
- Example: I’ll put on some coffee for everybody.
- Meaning: Perform for an audience
- Example: The actors put on a show.
Put out Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Place outside or eject
- Example: Don’t forget to put out the cat.
- Meaning: Produce
- Example: The factory puts out 4000 units each day.
- Meaning: Injure a part of the body, especially a joint
- Example: Don’t put out your back trying to lift that.
- Meaning: Extinguish (a flame or light)
- Example: They worked for days to put out the brushfire.
Put onself, Put over, Put past across Meaning & Examples
Put oneself across
- Meaning: Explain one’s ideas and opinions clearly so that another person can understand them and get a picture of your personality
- Example: It is very important to put yourself across well at a job interview.
- Meaning: State, or explain a concept in a clear, understandable manner
- Example: Professor Jones is a good teacher. He knows how to put his ideas over to the students.
- Meaning: Conclude that (someone) would not do something
- Example: Would he go so far as to call the police? I wouldn’t put it past him.
Put through, Put to, Put forward Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Connect
- Example: Please hold the line a moment while I put you through to the sales office.
- Meaning: Cause to endure
- Example: After all the grief my wife has put me through, I wonder why I’m still with her.
- Meaning: Ask or pose a question, or make a proposal
- Example: I’ll put it to the committee and see what they say.
Put forward (UK)
- Meaning: To propose or suggest
- Example: He rejected all the proposals put forward by the committee.
Put together, Put towards Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Assemble, construct, build or formulate
- Example: We’ll need to put together a plan if we want to get this project finished.
- Meaning: Make a financial contribution
- Example: We each put £5 towards her leaving present.
Put up, Put up with Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Place in a high location
- Example: Please put up your luggage in the overhead bins.
- Meaning: Hang or mount
- Example: Many people put up messages on their refrigerators.
Put up (UK)
- Meaning: Increase prices, taxes, duties, etc.
- Example: They’ve put up the rent by £20 a month.
- Meaning: Store away
- Example: Be sure to put up the tools when you finish.
- Meaning: House, shelter, or take in
- Example: We can put you up for the night.
- Meaning: Present, especially in “put up a fight”
- Example: That last fighter put up quite a fight.
- Meaning: Provide funds in advance
- Example: Butty Sugrue put up £300,000 for the Ali–Lewis fight.
- Meaning: Make available, to offer
- Example: The picture was put up for auction.
Put up with
- Meaning: Endure, tolerate, suffer through, or allow, especially something annoying
- Example: I put up with a lot of nonsense, but this is too much.
Phrasal Verbs with PUT | Images
Commonly Used Phrasal Verbs with PUT | Image 1
List of Commonly Used Phrasal Verbs with PUT | Image 2
Commonly Used Phrasal Verbs with PUT | Image 3
Common Phrasal Verbs with PUT | Video
Learn common phrasal verbs with put with American English pronunciation.
70+ Phrasal Verbs with PUT: Put up, Put on, Put down, Put off…