Phrasal verbs with SEND! Learn send away meaning, send back meaning, send down meaning, send off meaning, send up meaning with examples and ESL picture.
Phrasal Verbs with SEND
List of frequently used phrasal verbs with Send in English.
Send away, Send away for Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Dismiss from one’s presence
- Example: The salesman was taking up too much time with his nonsense, so I sent him away.
- Meaning: Send to a particular place for a long time, as a family member, an employee, etc.
- Example: We are going to send our son away to live with his uncle in America for a year.
Send away for
- Meaning: Write to a business or other organisation, requesting a thing
- Example: You can send away for a brochure about this hotel, if you like.
Send back Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Return (something) to its origin
- Example: I sent the video back to the store, as it was damaged.
- Meaning: Remind (someone) of a previous time in the past
- Example: That song sends me back to the 1970s.
Send down Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Suspend or expel (an undergraduate) from university
- Example: He was sent down from Oxford for theft.
- Meaning: Commit (someone) to a prison term
- Example: Eventually she was caught, and sent down for twelve years.
- Meaning: Demote a player within the levels of professional baseball
- Example: After performing poorly for the first month of the season, he was sent down to the minor leagues.
Send off, Send out for, Send up Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Send; to dispatch
- Example: Have you sent off your application yet?
Send out for
- Meaning: Make an order for something to be delivered, especially takeaway food
- Example: There’s nothing in the fridge. Let’s send out for pizza.
- Meaning: Imitate someone or something for the purpose of satirical humour
- Example: The programme accurately sends up the British Civil Service system at Whitehall.
- Meaning: Put in prison
- Example: The judge sent him up for three years.