Phrasal verbs with WASH! Learn wash away meaning, wash down meaning, wash off meaning, wash out meaning, wash over meaning, wash up meaning with examples and ESL printable pictures. List of 15 frequently used phrasal verbs with Wash.
Phrasal Verbs with WASH
Wash away, Wash down Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Eliminate, or destroy by fast moving water, such as in a flood, or a high sea
- Example: Thousands were left homeless as the flood waters washed away the eastern part of the city.
- Meaning: Eliminate, in a figurative sense
- Example: This latest piece of information, if true, will wash away all doubt.
- Meaning: Help to swallow by drinking a liquid, after eating something, or taking a pill
- Example: I had a nice beef sandwich washed down with a pint of bitter.
- Meaning: Wash something completely from top to bottom
- Example: You must wash the wall down well before painting.
Wash off, Wash out Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Remove (or be removed) by washing
- Example: I hope this mud will wash off without too much scrubbing.
- Meaning: Remove something by washing
- Example: That stain will easily wash out.
- Meaning: Wear away by the flow of water; to erode
- Example: The sandcastle was washed out by the tide.
- Meaning: Cancel due to bad weather
- Example: The continuous rain washed out the cricket match.
- Meaning: Lose traction while going around a turn, especially in cycling, motorsports and skiing/snowboarding
- Example: The rider washed out around that last turn and hit a tree.
Wash over Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Pass unnoticed so that one is unaffected by it
- Example: The news of the actor’s death just washed over me, as I did not particularly like the man anyway.
- Meaning: Affect the emotions of (a person) suddenly and overwhelmingly
- Example: A wave of embarrassment washed over me, as I became suddenly hot, and red in the face.
- Meaning: Surge over the banks, or other retaining structure
- Example: The river washed over the embankment at several places.
Wash up Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: Clean the utensils, dishes etc. used in preparing and eating a meal
- Example: You wash up tonight and I’ll dry.
- Meaning: Wash one’s hands and/or face, often around mealtimes
- Example: Dinner is almost ready, so go and wash up.
- Meaning: Carry an object to land
- Example: The whale was washed up on the beach.
Phrasal Verbs with WASH | Image
1 thought on “15 Phrasal Verbs with WASH: Wash away, Wash out, Wash up, Wash down…”
I wish It can download to PDF.thank you