What does PITA mean? What is the definition of this internet acronym? Learn how and when to use this text abbreviation with ESL infographic and useful conversation examples in English.
What Does PITA Mean?
“PITA” stands for “pain in the a**”.
You can use “PITB” for “pain in the butt” if you’re averse to swearing. You can use this word affectionately, as I do when I’m talking to my kids and they’re being annoying. Or you can mean it offensively, such as when you’re talking about your boss who is acting like a jerk. It can mean “I’m pissed (or annoyed) at you, but I still love you.
- “PITA” = “P” (Pain) + “I” (In) + “T” (The) + “A” (A**)
- “PITB” = “P” (Pain) + “I” (In) + “T” (The) “ “B” (Butt)
Similar Slang Words
As mentioned, you can use “PITB” instead of “PITA”. Other similar words are jerk, motor mouth, jabber jaws, douchebag, f***wad, a**hole, ballbuster, dork.
“PITA” can also mean a type of Mediterranean bread or a person with pale skin that reminds a person of pita bread. It can also mean a vulgar expression referring to a sexual position, “put it in the a**”.
Here is the list of other meanings:
- Plug in the Answer (math strategy)
- Paper Industry Technical Association (UK)
- Pacific Islands Telecommunications Association
- Palestinian Information Technology Association
- Pain in the arse
- People Ingesting Tasty Animals
- Pacific International Trapshooting Association
- Pain in the Alleganies
Example 1 using “PITA” as “pain in the a**” in an affectionate form
- Teenager: Can Miley stay the night?
- Mom: Omg you already have 5 friends over
- Teenager: Last one. Pleaze?
- Mom: You are such a pita. That’s it.
- Teenager: Well Maddy wants to come too. Her mom said it has to be both.
- Mom: No
- Teenager: Pleaze?
- Teenager: Pleaze?
- Teenager: Pretty pleaze????
- Mom: Fine. No one else. That’s final.
- Teenager: OMG mom you’re the greatest!!! I luv you
- Mom: Ily too
*”OMG” = “O (Oh) + M (my) + G (God)”
*”ILY” = “I (I) + L (Love) + Y (You)
Example 2 using “PITA” as “pain in the a**” in an irritating manner
- Speaker 1: OMG this new professor is horrible!
- Speaker 2: FR. Such a PITA. He gave me a -C
- Speaker 1: I miss Mr. Phillips. He was way cooler
- Speaker 2: Def. IDK what we gonna do.
- Speaker 1: Drinks tonite 9. We’ll figure it out
*FR = F (For) + R (Real)
*IDK = I (I) + D (Don’t) + K (Know)
PITA Meaning Infographic