Places in the City! Useful names of things in the city with pictures and examples. If you are in an English speaking city and you wish to ask for directions to a certain location, for example the town hall, the movie theatre or the police station, you will need to know how to refer to these places with their English names.
This type of vocabulary is also super useful when reading street signs whilst in an English speaking city and will help you to better understand these.
In this section, you are going to be able to learn the names of all the important places that you will commonly find when in the city.
Places in the City
List of Places in the City
- City centre (UK)/ City center (US)
- Car park (UK)/ Parking lot (US)
- Telephone box (UK)/ Telephone booth (US)
- Pavement (UK)/ Sidewalk (US)
- Cycle path (UK)/ Bicycle path (US)
- Traffic jam
- Street lights
- Flyover (UK)/ Overpass (US)
- Pedestrian crossing (UK)/ Crosswalk (US)
- Road sign
- Traffic lights
- Post office
- Police station
- Bus stop
- Train station
- Petrol station
- Clothing store
- Shoe shop
- Amusement park
- Sports centre
- Swimming pool
Names of Places in the City with Pictures
Learn these city vocabulary words to improve your vocabulary in English.
City centre (UK)/ City center (US)
– There’s a shuttle service from the city center to the airport.
Car park (UK)/ Parking lot (US)
– John’s car was easily recognizable in the car park.
Telephone box (UK)/ Telephone booth (US)
– He vented his fury on a telephone box.
Pavement (UK)/ Sidewalk (US)
– I dropped my camera on the pavement and bust it.
Cycle path (UK)/ Bicycle path (US)
– He is riding his bicycle on the cycle path.
– Sorry we’re late. We got stuck in a traffic jam.
– The street lights are usually turned on at 7.
– The two vans collided at the crossroads.
Flyover (UK)/ Overpass (US)
– Another flyover will be opened to traffic by the end of this year.
– Keep the underpass clean.
– We leave the roundabout at the second exit.
– They ought to stop at the pedestrian crossing.
– The road sign points left.
– The car stopped at the traffic lights.
– The school has received a large capital grant to improve its buildings.
– The library is in the centre of the town.
– I work at a bookstore as a cashier once a week.
– Look straight ahead and you’ll see the post office.
– She works at the pharmacy.
– I’m going to hospital for an X-rays.
– He works in the nearby police station.
– The bank will supply and buy back foreign currency.
– I saw Louise walking slowly to the bus stop.
– They arrived late at the airport.
– I’ll meet you at the train station.
– The driver stopped the car at the petrol station to refuel.
– Many famous people have stayed in the hotel.
– They go to church on Sundays.
– The number of workers in our factory is 300.
– He slowly backed his car into the garage.
– I usually buy all my vegetables at the market.
– I bought a bar of soap in the supermarket.
– I saw the biggest bakery in the world.
– There is a cafe on the other side of the lake.
– I’ll call the restaurant and make a reservation.
– Mary Jones bought a dress in a woman’s clothing store.
– My husband works in a shoe shop.
– Her mother never went to the theater.
– We go to the cinema about once a week.
– Last night we went to the amusement park.
– We want to go to the sports centre.
– The children are shouting and running in the playground.
– The bridge broke down in last earthquake.
– You won’t see live animals in a museum.
– She was lying on an air bed in the swimming pool.
– We worked on the farm in summer.
– The park was filled with people.
– She led the children into the zoo.
Places in the City | Pictures
Places in the City | Picture 1
Places in the City | Picture 2
List of Places in the City | Picture 3
Places in the City | Picture 4
Last Updated on February 27, 2023