What does POG mean? Are you searching for the definition of this internet slang term? This lesson will help you find out how to use this text abbreviation with useful conversation examples and ESL picture.
What Does POG Mean?
Before the spread of the internet and gaming culture, “pog” was a small, circular piece of cardboard commonly used to play a game by children and young adults in the 1990s. Now, “POG” is often used in gaming to mean “play of the game.”
“POG” can also be used with “champ” to make “POGChamp.” This is sort of an abbreviation for “play of game champion.” This means that the player performed extremely well in a match and will be the best player in the game and get the “play of the game.”
It is commonly used in online games like Overwatch and League of Legends and on streaming services like Twitch and YouTube.
Here are a few examples:
- Gaming Streamer: Live stream starts in 15 minutes. Check out my sick plays and the road to the finals. My goal is to get POG three times today.
- Stream Watcher 1: Yeah man, go get ’em!
- Stream Watcher 2: Can’t way, gonna be #pogchamp for sure!
For example 1, we have a young lady who streams games online. She announces her stream will be starting soon and states that she hopes to get “POG” three times in the upcoming stream. Stream Watcher 2 replies with support by using #pogchamp to say that he thinks she will be able to get the play of the game and be a champion.
- Texter 1: Did you see PrettyPoison’s stream yesterday? It was crazy! She barely took any damage.
- Texter 2: Yeah, she did pretty good, but I don’t think she was aggressive enough. I think she only waits around and jumps in at the last minute so she can get POG.
- Texter 1: Really?
- Texter 2: Yeah, she’s good, but not POG Champ material imo.
The next example shows a texting conversation between two friends. They both watched the previous streamer play in her previous stream. Texter 1 thinks she did a great job. Texter 2 has doubts about how she performed. While they both agree she is a good player, Texter 2 thinks that she gets the play of the game a lot but does not have what it takes to be a great all-around player. This is something that commonly happens in gaming and e-sports where players often try to execute risky plays in order to get the play of the game. It’s an “all or nothing” style of play that can payoff but can also lose games.
It has a few other meanings as well. One of these is used in a military setting. In this case “POG” can mean “person other than grunt.” A grunt is a frontline soldier who does something dangerous or combat-related so here a “POG” is someone who performs some supporting duties but does not really fight or march like the others.
Here is the list of other meanings:
- Patina Oil & Gas Corporation
- Player Of The Game
- Price Of Gold
- Personnel Other than Grunt
- PC Only Gamer
- Priorities of Government
- Parents of the Groom
- Psychological Operations Group
- Play Online Games
- Property of God
- Pot of Gold
POG Meaning Infographic