What does Poindexter mean? Learn the definition, how and when to use the internet slang word with useful conversation examples and ESL printable infographic.
What Does Poindexter Mean?
Poindexter is an insult aimed at someone who is a stereotypical “nerd”, but who may or may not have the “nerdy” quality. This is an outdated slang term that still sees some usage. A poindexter will typically lack social skills, be interested in science, math, along with fantasy and science fiction genres. A person that is a poindexter will also have a poor fashion sense, wearing thick glasses and a bowtie.
Likely a term that developed in the early 20th century, poindexter was common in the American lexicon before the rise of the internet. Used most commonly as an insult against someone who was socially awkward.
Poindexter was the name of a professor character in the old Felix the Cat series. If poindexter was a term in use before or after the character’s debate is unknown, but very rarely will poindexter refer to the character given the obscurity of Felix the Cat.
Online Discussion Board:
- User 1: I hate her new outfit in the movie. It shows off way too much skin.
- User 2: Totally agree, she’s suppose to be a BA, not some eye candy.
- User 3: Actually, she did wear that outfit in issue number 78. So the movie producers making her wear that is fine.
- User 2: Alright, poindexter, we get the point. You read comics. But this is the movies. They could give her some modesty.
Text Between Friends:
- Friend 1: Hey, where are you?
- Friend 2: I’m at the card store.
- Friend 1: The card store?
- Friend 2: Yeah, I’m building my new deck.
- Friend 1: LOL! You’re such a poindexter.
- Friend 2: And proud of it!
Other Ways to Say the Slang
Typically, poindexter can also be spelled with an added T, changing it to pointdexter. The meaning is still the same regardless of spelling.
Poindexter Meaning Infographic
Last Updated on March 18, 2020