There are numerous instances in which one might hear the use of the term Pomp and circumstance in the English language, but what does this saying mean? We are going to answer this question as well as taking a look at where the term came from in the first place. We will also take a look at some examples of the phrase being used in conversation in order to better understand it’s the function.
Pomp and Circumstance
Pomp and Circumstance Meaning
The term Pomp and circumstance refers to the grandeur or flamboyance of a ceremony or situation. For example, a very formal ceremony which featured traditional elements and was seen to be very fancy would be said to have all the pomp and circumstance.
Origin of this term
“Pomp and Circumstance” Examples
Examples in Statements
If you are curious to see how the term Pomp and circumstance would look in a sentence, here are some examples to show this.
The first is a statement being made in a news report.
- The ceremony went off without a hitch and it featured all the pomp and circumstance that you might expect.
This next statement is being made by a student.
- I have my graduation ceremony this week, I expect it will be full of pomp and circumstance.
There are many times in which you might hear the term Pomp and circumstance used in a conversation, we are now going to look at some examples of this.
The first conversation is happening between a husband and wife.
- Person 1: “Are we going to the awards ceremony this week?”
- Person 1: “Yes we are, but it is going to be very fancy.”
- Person 2: “All the usual pomp and circumstance of that type of event then.”
The next conversation is taking place between two students.
- Person 1: “Are we expected to be very formal at the graduation?”
- Person 2: “Yes, it is very formal, full of pomp and circumstance and you will be expected to behave in a decent manner.”
- The princess got married with great pomp and circumstance.
- After two hours of pomp and circumstance, the diplomas were awarded and the audience went wild.
- The queen was welcomed with great pomp and circumstance.
- The people responsible for pomp and circumstance recognize this.
Other Ways to Say the Idiom
There are many other ways in which you might refer to pomp and circumstance using different wording.
Let’s take a look at some other things you could say in its place.
- Great fanfare
- Formal ceremony
Pomp and Circumstance Meaning | Picture