What is another word for “poor”? Here you will find a list of commonly used synonyms for “poor” in English with ESL images and useful example sentences. Learning these words to use instead of “poor” will help you enhance your English vocabulary.
“Poor” Definition and Examples
Meaning of “Poor”:
It means a lack of good living conditions or money. It is also used to indicate bad health conditions. It can also be used when referring to a person serving pity or mercy.
- John has a very poor and humble background.
- Smith has very poor knowledge when it comes to mathematics.
- I don’t like hanging out with poor people and those of an even lower class.
Other Words for “Poor”
Widely used synonyms for “poor”.
A big list of 100+ different words to use instead of “poor”.
- Not good
- Poor fellow
Poor Synonyms Infographic
Another Word for Poor
Poor Synonyms with Examples
Learn another word for “poor” with example sentence.
He was disgusted to see such awful living conditions.
We were staying in this really crummy hotel.
Our knowledge of the matter is deficient.
Conditions in the prison were diabolical.
What mind is there that does not shrink from its direful effects?
It was a disappointing performance which lacked finesse.
The food was bad and the service was dreadful.
We traced the trouble to a faulty transformer.
I first knew him as an impecunious student living in a tiny bedsit.
An impoverished family can call forth a filial son.
The town government is responsible for assistance to indigent people.
His salary is insufficient to meet his needs.
His command of English was lamentable.
She has written good essays before, but this one is substandard.
More examples with the word “poor”:
- He was known for his poor grammar and punctuation.
- You’ve no right to scorn a poor girl.
- The soil here is very poor.
- He lost a lot of money through poor investments.
- We collected a bundle of old clothes to be given to poor people.
- Poor Emily. Her kinsfolk should come to her.
- Poor Smith was one of those who went west in the earthquake.
- Abstention from drinking and smoking is the only way to improve your poor health.