Positive words are a great way to help make yourself and those around you a bit more positive. While positivity isn’t always required, it can certainly be helpful, especially in situations where you want to make a positive impression! Following is a list of common positive words that start with J (adjectives, nouns, verbs) with meaning and example sentences.
Positive Words that Start with J
Words that start with J can be a little trickier than other words, and finding positive words that start with J can be pretty challenging. We’re here for you! The following is a list of positive words that start with J. It’s organized by what part of speech each word is (adjective, verb, or noun), and each section is organized alphabetically to make things even easier on you! Just peruse this list as often as you’d like.
Positive Adjectives that Start with J
Adjectives are words that describe or modify nouns, which are people, places, and things. Positive adjectives are a great way to color your wording in a positive light!
- Meaning: Something that looks cheerful and confident.
- Example: Characters sing jaunty ragtime and barbershop melodies.
- Meaning: Someone who likes joking frequently.
- Example: Michael was in a very jocular mood at the party.
- Meaning: Happy, cheerful.
- Example: She was a jolly, kindhearted woman.
- Meaning: A happy, friendly manner.
- Example: Father Whittaker appeared to be in a jovial mood.
- Meaning: Being very happy. Generally includes expressing that happiness.
- Example: Liverpool were in a jubilant mood after their cup victory.
- Meaning: Plenty of good judgment or common sense.
- Example: You have to be very judicious about how you spend the taxpayers’ money.
- Meaning: Having a lot of juice or being very moist, both considered positive for most food. Also, can mean very interesting when referring to talk.
- Example: The pineapple was sweet and juicy.
- Meaning: Fair, balanced
- Example: This is just! don’t talk to much about it.
- Meaning: Something that’s been earned or that is fitting.
- Example: Is he justified in all his actions?
Positive Verbs that Start with J
Verbs are action words. They tell what something is doing (even if it’s as simple as existing!). Choosing positive verbs is a great way to make your sentence do something positive.
- Meaning: To talk (outdated or sometimes ironic). To jaw is sometimes similar to “to chew the fat.”
- Example: To gossip: to natter, to prattle, to chatter, to tittle-tattle, to jabber, to jaw.
- Meaning: Informally, to make something fancier.
- Example: Do you want to jazz up your old products?
- Meaning: To joke, or to say something without being entirely serious.
- Example: Don’t jest about such important matters!
- Meaning: To get along, generally in an automatic sort of way.
- Example: His report did not jibe with the facts.
- Meaning: To come together with or to connect.
- Example: The two rivers mingle their waters when they join.
- Meaning: Informal. To joke or play around.
- Example: John-Augustus tried to josh himself into accepting that his own bout was no more than that.
- Meaning: To write down thoughts, experiences, and ideas.
- Example: Quotation from Internet literature has become an insuppressible and booming existence for all the problems in its application to journal papers.
- Meaning: To give a bit of an advantage at the beginning, or something that helps get the first part of a task done quickly.
- Example: He was huddled with John trying to jumpstart his car.
- Meaning: To set things next to each other for comparison or to achieve a specific effect.
- Example: We tried to juxtapose the sculptures to give the best effect.
Positive Nouns that Start with J
Nouns are people, places, and things. When your noun is positive, so is your subject!
- Meaning: A large, festive celebration.
- Example: Unfortunately, we can’t go to the jamboree.
- Meaning: Literally, a gem. Figuratively, the best, most spectacular part of a thing.
- Example: Health is a jewel [treasure].
- Meaning: A vague measure of time that means quickly before you know it.
- Example: She conjured up a whole meal in a jiffy.
- Meaning: A lively, bouncy dance.
- Example: You didn’t just jig about by yourself, I mean you danced properly.
- Meaning: A fun, light little tune.
- Example: Jingle bells jingle bells jingle all the way.
- Meaning: A statement, question, or action that is intended to make someone laugh or is not meant to be taken seriously.
- Example: His cheerful joke made us forget our weariness.
- Meaning: A trip. Often a big one, or movement toward a goal.
- Example: Life is like a journey with an unknown destination.
- Meaning: Happiness
- Example: Love, joy, hate, fear and jealousy are all emotions.
- Meaning: A party, usually to celebrate the anniversary of an event.
- Example: The college celebrated its silver jubilee last year.
Just jump back to this list of positive words that start with J as often as you’d like the journey! Your journal will think it’s justified.
Positive Words that Start with J Infographic