You may have heard someone use the term pound sand during a conversation and questioned what it was they were talking about. If so, we are now going to take a look at what this saying means and where it originally came from. We are also going to look at some examples of sentences and conversations in which the phrase features to better understand its use.
Pound Sand Meaning
The meaning of the phrase pound sand is twofold. One meaning is to simply tell someone to go away. The second meaning is to let someone know that what they are asking is never going to happen, you tell them to go pound sand.
Origin of this idiomatic expression
The idiom pound sand originally dates back to around 1912 in midwestern America. The phrase refers to the pounding of sand down an animal hole, which is a pointless job to do.
“Pound Sand” Examples
Examples in Statements
There are many times you might hear the phrase pound sand being used. Here are some examples of sentences in which it might be seen.
The first statement is being made by an employer.
- Gary keeps asking for a raise, I told him to go pound sand.
This next statement is being made by a brother to his sister.
- You can keep asking me all day, it is never happening, you might as well go and pound sand.
If you are curious to see how the term pound sand can work in a conversation, here are some examples to show what you might hear.
The first conversation is taking place between two friends.
- Person 1: “I was thinking of asking Clare out on a date.”
- Person 2: “You don’t stand a chance with her.”
- Person 1: “I think I do.”
- Person 2: “Keep kidding yourself, you’d be better off going to pound sand.”
This next conversation is occurring between two work colleagues.
- Person 1: “Can you please stop doing that on those emails?”
- Person 2: “I don’t see the problem.”
- Person 1: “I do, you’re the problem.”
- Person 2: “Oh go pound sand will you.”
Other Ways to Say the Idiom
There are many other ways in which you could express the meaning of the term pound sand. Here are some examples of things you might say which have the same meaning.
- Go play in traffic
- Go and pound salt
- Go pound sand
Pound Sand Meaning | Picture