When we explore the English language, we find that it’s rich with synonyms, words with similar meanings that add variety and nuance to our speech and writing. Power synonym is a prime example, possessing an impressive array of synonyms that enable us to express the concept in different contexts. Power can imply physical strength, the ability to act or produce an effect, or the capacity to influence others, and each synonym carries its own unique shade of meaning.
What Is Power?
“Power” is a versatile term that broadly means the ability or capacity to act or perform effectively. It’s a foundational word with applications across physical, social, and political realms. When we consider power in a physical sense, it’s synonymous with strength or energy, like the force behind a moving object. Socially or politically, power often refers to the influence or authority one holds within a group or society.
List of Synonyms for Power
Types of Synonyms for Power
Authority and Influence
- Authority: Often implies legal or formal power
- Influence: Suggests an ability to affect or change without formal authority
Strength and Vigor
- Strength: Typically refers to physical power or robustness
- Vigor: Connotes energy, health, and strong vitality
Capacity and Potential
- Capacity: Indicates the maximum amount that something can contain or produce
- Potential: Relates to the possibility of becoming or developing into something
Skill and Competence
- Skill: Entails specific talents or expertise
- Competence: Involves overall aptitude and ability to perform tasks effectively
Control and Dominance
- Control: Implies the power to direct or manage
- Dominance: Suggests overpowering strength or a leading position
Mastery and Command
- Mastery: Describes comprehensive knowledge or skill in a subject
- Command: Can denote mastery, or more specifically, the power to use or utilize something
Common Synonyms for Power
Power vs. Strength
Power and strength often overlap but aren’t perfectly interchangeable. Power can denote an ability to do or act, while strength more narrowly focuses on sheer force or the capacity to withstand strain.
- The CEO wielded considerable power within the company, able to reshape divisions with a single decision.
- The bridge was built with a strength to withstand even the most severe storms.
Power vs. Energy
Energy conveys a sense of vigor or the capacity to be active, while power can encompass broader forms of ability and influence.
- The power of her speech lay not just in her words, but also in her conviction.
- He approached each project with an infectious energy that motivated the entire team.
Power vs. Authority
Authority implies a certainty of power bestowed by legal or formal means, whereas power is more encompassing and can come from various sources, including personal influence or physical might.
- Her persuasive power changed many minds during the debate.
- As the judge, he has the authority to determine the outcome of the case.
Power vs. Force
While both can imply influence, force connotes compulsion or coercion, whereas power is more neutral and can be based on consent or charisma.
- She had the power to captivate the audience with just her presence.
- The regime took control by force, ignoring the will of the people.
Synonyms for Power in Different Contexts
When we think of power, we often consider its various connotations depending on the context. Let’s explore some synonyms for power and see how they can be used in sentences.
In Leadership and Authority
- Authority: “As a manager, we wield the authority to direct the team’s efforts towards our goals.”
- Dominion: “We maintain dominion over our intellectual property to ensure its proper use.”
In Physical Strength
- Might: “During our workouts, we focus on increasing our might to lift heavier weights.”
- Vigor: “We admire the vigor of athletes who compete with such enduring energy.”
In Energy or Electrical
- Charge: “Our devices rely on a full charge to keep them running throughout our busy day.”
- Electricity: “As a utility company, we ensure the steady supply of electricity to our community.”
In Personal Capability
- Capacity: “We strive to expand our capacity for learning new languages.”
- Potency: “The potency of our new formula is proven to give results swiftly and effectively.”
Absolute and Near Synonyms of Power
Absolute Synonyms for Power
Here we present absolute synonyms for the word ‘power’, which can be used in similar contexts without altering the meaning.
|Authority||The power or right to give orders, make decisions, and enforce obedience.|
|Control||The power to influence or direct people’s behavior or the course of events.|
|Dominion||Sovereignty or control over a domain.|
|Command||The authority to manage or direct.|
|Influence||The capacity to have an effect on the character, development, or behavior of someone or something.|
|Mastery||Comprehensive knowledge or skill in a particular subject or activity.|
Near Synonyms for Power
Now, we look at near synonyms, which are words related to power with slight nuances that differentiate them.
|Might||Physical strength, power, or force.|
|Strength||The quality or state of being physically strong.|
|Potency||The power of something to affect the mind or body.|
|Vigor||Physical strength and good health.|
|Capacity||The maximum amount that something can contain or produce.|
|Authority||Cited as both an absolute and near synonym, it also embodies a sense of legitimacy or justification when considered a near synonym.|
Synonyms for Power with Examples | Infographic
Frequently Asked Questions
What are common synonyms for influence?
Influence is often interchangeable with words like sway, clout, leverage, and impact. These terms convey the ability to affect outcomes or opinions.
What term is synonymous with superpower?
A term synonymous with superpower is hegemon. It represents a dominant leader, often in the context of nations with unmatched economic, military, or political strength.
Can you provide alternate expressions for ‘more power to you’?
Certainly! Some alternate expressions include “here’s to your success,” “wish you the best,” or “may you go from strength to strength.”
What’s another word for a person with power?
A person with power can be described as an authority, leader, potentate, or magnate, depending on the context in which they wield their power.
What words are similar in meaning to strength and power?
Terms similar to strength and power include might, vigor, fortitude, and robustness. They all convey a sense of force or the capacity to withstand challenges.
Which word best represents high power?
To best represent high power, one might use the word omnipotent, particularly to denote an all-powerful force or entity.
- Intersex Meaning: What Does the Term “Intersex” Actually Mean? - June 4, 2023
- Woke Meaning: What Does the Slang Term “Woke” Mean? - June 4, 2023
- Evil Eye Meaning | What Does the Term “Evil Eye” Mean? - June 4, 2023