What does QTY mean? Learn the definition, how and when to use this texting abbreviation with ESL infographic and useful conversation examples in English.
What Does QTY Mean?
The abbreviation ‘qty’ stands for quantity.
You will find it most commonly used when explaining how much of something is inside of a container and/or quantity of an item needed to fill a container. There is another abbreviation that also means quantity but isn’t used as frequently and that term is ‘quan’.
How you will find this texting acronym used.
- Texter 1: Did you get all the cups back in the box?
- Texter 2: Yeah, the qty was 20 but I got 25 in the box.
- Texter 1: Really? Wow, good job.
- Texter 2: Thank you.
Here you have a couple of coworkers talking about storing cups and though the container would only hold 20, one coworker got 5 more inside the storage box.
- Forum User 1: Hey does anyone know how many bones I need to finish the bone sword?
- Forum User 2: A ton. lol
- Forum User 1: Really, serious please does anyone know the qty needed?
- Forum User 3: 33
- Forum User 1: Thank you
You will find ‘qty’ in online game forums while trying to figure out how much of something is needed to create weapons and armor.
- lol – Laugh Out Loud
- Texter 1: I need the total qty of pages needed to submit my book.
- Texter 2: Let me look.
- Texter 1: I don’t want to not submit enough.
- Texter 2: 120
- Texter 1: Thank you so much I am way ahead of that.
Another example of ‘qty’ being used is when talking about pages of a book or the quantity of pages needed to submit a book proposal.
QTY Meaning Infographic