Have you ever heard someone use the term “revenge is a dish best served cold” and wondered what the saying meant? We are going to take a look at the meaning of this phrase as well as looking at where it first came from. We will also be looking at some examples of the phrase being used within sentences and conversations in order to better understand its function.
Revenge Is A Dish Best Served Cold
“Revenge Is A Dish Best Served Cold” Meaning
The meaning of the term “revenge is a dish best served cold” is referring to revenge being better when it is long awaited and feared for a period of time rather than occurring right away.
Origin of this idiom
The phrase revenge is a dish best served cold finds its origins in the mid 1800’s from a text written by Eugene Sue called Memoirs of Matilda which was written in French and when directly translated actually reads revenge is good when eaten cold, so the vulgar folks say.
“Revenge Is A Dish Best Served Cold” Examples
Examples in Statements
There may be many instances in which one would use the phrase revenge is a dish best served cold. We are now going to take a look at some examples of the phrase in sentences.
The first statement is from a news report.
- The men finally retaliated in battle, it has taken a long time but revenge certainly appears to be a dish that is best served cold.
This next statement is from a scorned lover.
- He will regret doing this to me, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow because revenge is a dish best served cold.
If you are curious to see how the term revenge is a dish best served cold can work in a conversation, here are some examples to demonstrate its use.
The first conversation is taking place in the workplace.
- Person 1: “The boss has just fired me, for something I didn’t do!”
- Person 2: “I’m so sorry, what are you going to do?”
- Person 1: “Bide my time, revenge is a dish best served cold.”
This next conversation is happening between two friends.
- Person 1: “I am never speaking to Sarah again after what she did.”
- Person 2: “Are you not going to get your own back?”
- Person 1: “In time I will, revenge is a dish best served cold.”
Other Ways to Say the Idiom
There are other ways in which you might express the meaning of the term revenge is a dish best served cold, here are some examples of other things you could say.
- I will bide my time
- Revenge is sweeter after time
Revenge Is A Dish Best Served Cold | Image
2 thoughts on ““Revenge Is A Dish Best Served Cold” | What Does It Mean?”
I don’t agree with this interpretation. I think it means that you will get little satisfaction from taking revenge – the hot dish you were expecting will go cold
when you indulge yourself, no matter when. I recall a US phrase from somewhere : “(When you suffer a slight), Above all don’t try to get even”.
Yes, revenge is vulgar, as indicated by the original phrase…..