The phrase “rooting for you” is a popular phrase that you may see or hear frequently in writing and conversation. Here you will find the meaning of this phrase and the information behind its origin. You will also see the phrase used properly in some examples of conversations/statements and some suggestions on other ways you can say this phrase but still convey the same meaning.
Rooting For You
Rooting For You Meaning
The phrase “rooting for you” means that someone is cheering you on and they want what is best for you in a situation.
Origin of this idiom
Although it is not certain, this term most likely came from an Americanization of the British word rout. This word meant to bellow and was used to describe a cattle call. A bellow sounds like a cheer, thus the accepted common meaning of the phrase as cheering for someone or a team.
“Rooting For You” Examples
Examples in Statements
A statement made by a pastor in the local newspaper about a family in the community.
- “I want the Harrison’s to know that the entire community is rooting for you. We hope that Emily can beat her cancer and come home soon!”
A statement in the high school newspaper regarding a football player that was hurt.
- “Dale, we want you to know that we are all rooting for you. Get better soon so you can get back out on that field!”
Examples in Conversations
A conversation between two friends in school.
- Friend 1: I don’t know if I studied enough to pass this test.
- Friend 2: I am sure you will do just fine.
- Friend 1: You have more faith in me than I do.
- Friend 2: You got this! I am rooting for you!
A conversation between a father and his son.
- Son: I am nervous about the game today, Dad.
- Father: Why? You will be great! Just remember what you learned in practice.
- Son: I know, but it is my first game and I just feel like I’m going to mess it up somehow.
- Father: Nonsense! You will be awesome and remember mom and I will be right there in the stands rooting for you.
More helpful examples:
- We’re all rooting for you good luck with your job interview!
- There is nothing to be afraid of. We are all rooting for you.
- You can do it – I’m rooting for you.
Other Ways to Say “Rooting For You”
As with most phrases, there are many other ways you can say the phrase “rooting for you” and still convey the same meaning. Some of these alternatives include:
- I am cheering you on
- I am on your side
- I’ll be there to support you no matter what
Rooting For You Meaning | Image