The idiomatic phrase “rose tinted glasses” is a common expression heard and seen often in everyday conversation and writing. Here you will find the meaning of this phrase and the information regarding its origin. You will also find examples of how to properly use this phrase in conversations/statements and alternative ways to make the same expression while conveying the same meaning.
Rose Tinted Glasses
Rose Tinted Glasses Meaning
The idiomatic saying “rose tinted glasses” means that someone always looks at a situation in a positive light or with great optimism.
Origin of this idiom
Most likely, this phrase came from the word rosy. Rosy was first used in the later years of the 1700s to describe someone as being cheerful and optimistic. The phrase used this meaning and applied it to a pair of glasses that help people to see better. Thus, a person who sees optimism in a bad situation is looking through a pair of rose tinted glasses that help them to focus on more than just the bad things.
“Rose Tinted Glasses” Examples
Examples in Statements
A statement made to the press by a celebrity who recently admitted a drug problem.
- “I refuse to see life other than through a pair of rose tinted glasses. I know there is a light for me at the end of this tunnel.”
A statement made in the local paper during an interview with a citizen who has had several bad experiences recently.
- “I know there is good coming, I can see it. I have to look at the world through rose tinted glasses and believe there is something better coming for me.”
A conversation between a student and a teacher.
- Student: I just don’t know what to think anymore Ms. Davis. So much has happened over the last year and all I see are negative things coming my way.
- Teacher: Johnny, you can’t let the world break you. Bad things happen to everyone. That is no reason to stop seeing the world through rose tinted glasses.
- Student: What do you mean by that?
- Teacher: I mean just because some bad things happen to good people shouldn’t be a reason to always think bad things are always going to happen. You have to remain positive and optimistic.
Other Ways to Say “Rose Tinted Glasses”
There are many alternative ways to say the phrase “rose tinted glasses.”
Some of these alternative ways include:
What does “Rose Tinted Glasses” Mean? | Picture
- Rapport Meaning: What Does the Term “Rapport” Mean? - November 28, 2023
- Solidarity Meaning: What’s the Definition of the Term “Solidarity”? - November 28, 2023
- Compassion Meaning: What Does “Compassion” Mean? - November 28, 2023