The phrase “salt of the earth” is a common idiomatic phrase used in everyday conversation. Here you will find the meaning of this phrase and find out where the phrase originated from. You will also find examples of how to use the phrase properly in conversations/statements and discover other ways to convey the same thought using literal terms instead.
Salt of the Earth
Salt of the Earth Meaning
The idiom “salt of the earth” is a descriptive phrase used to classify a person or group of people as the good, or best, part of the world.
Origin of this idiomatic expression
The idiomatic phrase “salt of the earth” has been around for thousands of years. This phrase first appeared in Latin versions of the Bible in Matthew, Chapter 5, Verse 13. Since this time, the phrase has been used in various forms of literature and became a wildly proper phrase in society.
“Salt of the Earth” Examples
Examples in Statements
A statement made for a story in the newspaper.
- “We are forever thankful to the man that ran in the fire to save our youngest child. He is, without a doubt, the salt of the earth.”
A statement made in an article on the internet in response to a story.
- “It is stories like these that warm my heart and touch my soul. It is good to know there are some people out there who are still salt of the earth.”
Examples in Conversations
A conversation between two friends.
- Friend 1: I can’t believe that you would do that for me!
- Friend 2: What can I say? I’m a helpful person.
- Friend 1: I agree, you are the salt of the earth.
A conversation between two co-workers.
- Co-worker 1: Jenny filled in for me when I needed her the most.
- Co-worker 2: Yes, she is a hard worker and a good person. She is the salt of the earth.
More useful examples:
- Your grandmother is the salt of the earth.
- As one of my relatives said, he was the salt of the earth and the spice of life.
- Mary is really the salt of the earth. She has neither lied to nor harmed anyone.
- You should not have cheated a girl like Lisa who has always been the salt of the earth.
Other Ways to Say “Salt Of The Earth”
There are numerous ways you could say the idiomatic phrase “salt of the earth” and have it still convey the same thought or feeling. Some of the things you can say include he/she is truly a good person, he/she is a treasure to behold or he/she is amazingly good.
Useful synonyms of “Salt Of The Earth”:
- Good person
- Nice person
- Great guy
- Honest person