What does Sappy mean? Several slang terms have been adopted into acceptable everyday use during informal means of communication. In this article, you will discover the definition of the slang term “sappy” and the story regarding its origin.
The information presented below will also contain other meanings if any exist, and examples of proper usage during a conversation. Finally, you will learn some other ways you can say this term to mean the same thing using more direct phrasing.
What Does Sappy Mean?
The slang term “sappy” means experiencing the emotions of being sad and happy simultaneously, while not knowing which one to be because the emotion overwhelms you. In its slang form, “sappy” can also mean being sickeningly sweet in a romantic sense or extremely lame.
Origin of Sappy
The slang word “sappy” in the context of the definitions mentioned above was first used as a figurative description in the 1660s.
The word “sappy” has two literal means. The first definition of the word “sappy” in the literal sense means to be full of sap. The second definition of the word “sappy” in the literal sense means to be made mostly of sapwood.
A conversation between two friends over a cup of coffee:
- Friend 1: Mark is so sappy!
- Friend 2: Why do you say that?
- Friend 1: Last night we watched a chick flick and I looked over at him and he was crying!
A conversation between two co-workers at the office:
- Co-worker 1: This Tuesday is my 20th wedding anniversary.
- Co-worker 2: Nice! What are you going to do to celebrate?
- Co-worker 1: I have no clue! I have been trying to come up with something, but everything I think of seems way too sappy!
- Co-worker 2: Yeah, but women like sappy!
Alternatives to “Sappy”
Some of the other ways you can say the slang term “sappy” include:
- overly romantic
Sappy Meaning Infographic