Learn useful Sexuality Idioms in English with meaning and examples.
List of 10+ Useful Sexuality Idioms in English.
You can jump to any section of this lesson:
(To) Bat/Play for Both Teams
- Meaning: To be bisexual.
- Example: Jake bats for both teams. You’ll see him with women, but he’s had several relationships with guys.
(To) Bat/Play for the Other Team
- Meaning: To be homosexual.
- Example: Don’t bother asking Susan out-she plays for the other team.
Note: This is rather old-fashioned, but still understood.
(To) Fuck (Or Screw) The Dog (Pooch)
- Meaning: To make an embarrassing error
- Example: It’s OK if you make a few mistakes at first. Just don’t screw the pooch.
Note: This is obscene.
- Meaning: A man to whom women are attracted
- Example: I like to go out to the bars with John-he’s a real babe magnet, so I get to meet lots of women too.
Note: Also “chick magnet.” These are North American.
Useful Sexuality Idioms in English
- Meaning: An expression of the eyes that seems to invite sex
- Example: I can tell by your bedroom eyes that you want to go home with me.
- Meaning: A young man who is the lover of an older, often wealthier woman (see toyboy)
- Example: As they get older, glamorous actresses like to be seen in the company of a boy toy.
Come Out of the Closet
- Meaning: Reveal a secret about oneself, usually that one is gay (homosexual)
- Example: In the 1950s gay actors rarely came out of the closet, but now ir’s rare to find one who hasn’t done so.
Have the Hots for (Somebody)
- Meaning: To be (sexually) attracted to somebody
- Example: I really have the hots for Samantha, and now she’s agreed to go out with me. Excited!
- Meaning: To impregnate a woman. Often used in the form “knocked up”.
- Example: Pam wanted to go to college, but she got knocked up, so she had to put her plans on hold.
- Meaning: To have sexual intercourse
- Example: You only live once. Let’s drink beer and make love on the beach!
Note: An older sense of this phrase was “to court,” but that is now obsolete.
- Meaning: A neighborhood with many houses of prostitution
- Example: Police keep trying to clear out prostitution in the red-light district, but the streetwalkers always come back again.
- Meaning: A rich man who is generous with younger women in return for sexual favors
- Example: How did I pay for college? I found a sugar daddy who helped me out. All I had to do was spend the night with him once a week.
The Birds and the Bees
- Meaning: Human sexuality and reproduction
- Example: My daughter is asking questions about where she came from. I guess it’s time to tell her about the birds and the bees.
Note: This is typically used in describing a conversation with a child.