Many people think the term “shenanigans” is an Irish word, but it actually isn’t despite how it sounds. Here you will find the meaning of this slang term, along with details regarding its origin, and other meanings if there any to be found.
Example conversations are also provided here for your convenience so that you can have a visual representation of how the term is used in proper context. Finally, you will learn some synonyms you can use in place of this term during a conversation that will not change its meaning.
What Does Shenanigans Mean?
This slang term is used to describe any type of deceitful activity or trick that is played on someone for any type of devious or mischievous purpose.
Origin of Shenanigans
The origin of this slang term is unknown. The only information that is known about the term is that it was first used sometime in the mid 19th-century.
This term used to the name of a national restaurant chain, but they are currently out of business. Other than that, there are currently no other known meanings of this slang term.
A conversation between a mother and her young son.
- Mom: Stop kicking the back of my seat!
- Son: (continues to kick the back of the seat and not listen)
- Mom: I am warning you! I am in no mood for your shenanigans today!
- Son: (laughs and continues to kick the back of the seat)
- Mom: Stop it right now, or I am going to pull this car over and spank you!
- Son: Okay, okay! I’ll stop!
An online discussion between two Facebook users.
- User 1: President Trump has no one to blame but himself for his possible impeachment. His shenanigans before taking office and during his presidency are the reason this is all happening.
- User 2: I couldn’t agree more.
Synonyms for Shenanigans
There are some words and phrases that you could use in place of this term that mean the same thing or are similar enough in meaning. Some other words and phrases you could use include:
Shenanigans Meaning Infographic