You might often hear the term short end of the stick in an English conversation but what does this saying mean? We are going to take a look at the answer to this question as well as finding out where the term originally came from. We will also take a look at some examples of conversations in which the phrase appears in order to better understand it’s used.
Short End of the Stick
Short End of the Stick Meaning
The term short end of the stick talks about getting the raw end of the deal or getting the worst outcome from a situation.
Origin of the helpful saying
The saying the short end of the stick originally comes from the concept of putting a stick inside someone’s rectum as a form of punishment in times gone by.
“Short End of the Stick” Examples
There might be many different situations in which you might hear the phrase short end of the stick. Here are some examples of sentences in which we can see the term.
The first statement is being made by someone in the workplace.
- I am sick of getting the short end of the stick and getting all the night shifts.
The next statement is being made by a mother.
- It is always me who has to stay in and look after the kids while my husband goes out with his friends, I feel like I am getting the short end of the stick.
If you are wondering how the term short end of the stick might fit into a conversation, here are some examples to show what you might hear.
The first is a conversation which is taking place between two friends.
- Person 1: “Are you coming to the cinema tonight?”
- Person 2: “No, I can’t. I have to work.”
- Person 1: “Again? You are always working.”
- Person 2: “I keep getting the short end of the stick and having to cover for people who are off sick.”
The next conversation is taking place between some children who are playing hide and seek.
- Person 1: “You’re counting again.”
- Person 2: “I always count, it’s your turn.”
- Person 1: “No, I don’t want to.”
- Person 2: “I always get the short end of the stick, I’m not playing with you again.”
Other Ways to Say “Short End of the Stick”
There are other ways in which you might say the phrase short end of the stick. Here are some examples of other things you might say.
- Raw end of the deal
- Draw the short straw
- Worst bit
- Worst part