The phrase silence is golden can be heard frequently during English conversation but what is the meaning of this idiomatic saying? We are going to take a look at the answer to this question as well as looking at some examples of how the phrase can be used in a conversation. We will also find out where the phrase came from in the first place by looking at its origins.
Silence is Golden
Silence is Golden Meaning
The term silence is golden is referring to the fact that in some situations saying nothing is the best option.
Origin of this phrase
The phrase silence is golden finds its origins in ancient Egypt where we see the first records of this term. However, in more recent times we see the term used in a poem from 1831.
“Silence is Golden” Examples
You are likely to hear the term silence is golden in many different situations, here are some examples of sentences which feature the phrase.
The first example is a statement being made by a father to his son.
- Don’t tell your mother that I broke her vase, silence is golden.
The next statement is being made by a teacher.
- While we sit the exam, you must not speak to avoid cheating, silence is golden.
If you are wondering how the term silence is golden can work in a conversation, here are some examples to demonstrate what you might hear.
The first conversation is taking place between two friends.
- Person 1: “We need to arrange a surprise party for Anne.”
- Person 2: “Yes, but we mustn’t let her find out.”
- Person 1: “I won’t say a word, silence is golden.”
The next conversation is happening between two people who are having an affair.
- Person 1: “Oh no, here comes my husband’s best friend. He can’t see us together.”
- Person 2: “We could be business associates for all he knows.”
- Person 1: “I guess we say nothing, then.”
- Person 2: “No, silence is golden.”
- Silence is golden when you can’t think of a good answer. (Muhammad Ali)
- They say that speech is silver but silence is golden.
- Speech is silvern while silence is golden.
Other Ways to Say the Phrase
There are other ways in which you might say the phrase silence is golden by using different wording. Here are some examples of this.
- Speech is silver, silence is golden
- Bite your tongue
Silence is Golden | Image