If you have never heard of the term “simp,” then you should be thankful. It is not something that anyone would care to be known as. However, if you are just encountering this phrase for the first time and you are curious about what it means, look no further. Here you will find the meaning of this online slang term, the story of its origin, and some alternative meanings if there are any to be found.
You will also see some conversation examples for you to read through to help you better understand the term by seeing it used in context. Finally, you will discover some synonymous words or phrases that can be used in place of this term to convey the same meaning during a conversation.
What Does Simp Mean?
This term is most commonly used to define a man who puts women on a pedestal and who answers their every beck and call but gets little to nothing in return.
Origin of Simp
This slang term was first used in 1903 in the circus as an abbreviated form of the word simpleton. This word took on the meaning of the alternate definition mentioned below in other meanings. It is uncertain when the term took on the meaning mentioned above. However, one can see how a man who puts his all into a woman or a relationship and gets nothing in return could also be lacking common sense.
The term can also be used to describe someone who is simple and seems to possess no common sense.
A text message exchange between two friends.
- Friend 1: Tommy is such a simp.
- Friend 2: Why do you say that?
- Friend 1: Because he worships the ground that Crystal walks on and she treats him like crap.
- Friend 2: I agree with you on that one.
An online conversation between two Facebook users.
- User 1: Does anyone know a way that I can make my cousin open his eyes and see the girl that he is with is making him look like a simp?
- User 2: He won’t see it until he wants to see it, unfortunately. Usually, that means when he is broke and can no longer offer her the same comforts that she is getting right now. Then he will see what she is really about.
Synonyms for Simp
There are several synonymous words or phrases that you could use in place of this term to still maintain the same meaning. Some of the alternative terms you could use include:
Simp Meaning Infographic