As we all know, sleep is an essential part of our lives. It helps us recharge and rejuvenate our bodies and minds, and prepares us for the day ahead. However, did you know that there are phrasal verbs related to sleep? These phrasal verbs can help you better express yourself when talking about sleep-related activities.
List of Useful Sleep Phrasal Verbs
- Wake up
- Get up
- Lie down
- Sleep in
- Drop off
- Sleep over
- Lie in
- Stay up
- Go off
- Sleep through
- Sleep on it
- Doze off
Sleep Phrasal Verbs in English
Sleep Phrasal Verbs with Meaning and Examples
- Meaning: Stop sleeping and become conscious or aware of one’s surroundings.
- Example: We usually wake up at 6 am.
- Meaning: Get out of bed after sleeping
- Example: We have to get up early tomorrow for work.
- Meaning: Rest on your back
- Example: I like to lie down and read a book before going to sleep.
- Meaning: Sleep longer than usual
- Example: I like to sleep in on the weekends.
- Meaning: Fall asleep unintentionally
- Example: I kept dropping off during the boring lecture.
- Meaning: Spend the night at someone else’s place
- Example: We slept over at our friend’s house after the party.
- Meaning: Stay in bed longer than usual
- Example: I like to have a lie in on Sundays.
- Meaning: Go to bed later than usual, often staying awake past one’s usual bedtime.
- Example: We stayed up late watching movies.
- Meaning: Ring or sound, often used to describe the sound of an alarm, a phone, or a bell.
- Example: I’ve set the alarm clock to go off at 6 am.
- Meaning: Remain asleep for a long period of time without waking up
- Example: I slept right through till lunchtime.
Sleep on it
- Meaning: Delay deciding until the next day
- Example: Let’s sleep on it and decide tomorrow.
- Meaning: Fall asleep, often unintentionally or when one did not plan to sleep.
- Example: Sorry, I must have dozed off for a few minutes.
Practice and Exercises
Fill in the blank
- I always ___________ until noon on weekends.
- I need to ___________ early tomorrow for work.
- She ___________ on the couch and watched TV all day.
- I accidentally ___________ during the movie and missed the ending.
- He usually ___________ until 9 am on weekdays.
Match the Verbs
|a. Stay up||1. To explode or make a loud noise|
|b. Go off||2. To continue sleeping despite noise or disturbance|
|c. Sleep through||3. To remain awake later than usual|
|d. Sleep on it||4. To delay making a decision until the next day|
|e. Doze of||5. To fall asleep briefly|
Related phrasal verbs list: