SNS is an acronym that is common on the internet. You may not know the meaning of this acronym, but chances are, SNS may already be familiar to you. It is a term used for online platforms like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, LinkedIn, Snapchat, Pinterest, and TikTok.
What Does SNS Mean?
The acronym SNS stands for Social Networking Service. It is an online platform that creates connections between people from across the globe. Normally, these people gather on a specific platform to share an interest or even form relationships online. They create a profile with their personal information and from there, connect with other people of the same interest.
Origin of SNS
The Social Networking Service or SNS started in 1997 when the dial-up internet connections became available to the major population. SixDegrees, Friendster, and MySpace were some of the pioneers in Social Networking Service. They offered a wide range of interests for different kinds of users. Though these platforms are now unknown today, their legacy has lived on their predecessors. The Social Networking Service continues to connect the global community in the comfort of their own homes.
Other Similar Acronyms
Satellite Navigation System
- This system is known as SNS or SatNav which is a mechanism that monitors and controls the movement of satellites.
Sympathetic Nervous System
- SNS also refers to one of the three divisions of the autonomic nervous system.
Saturday Night Special
- This is an acronym familiar to gun enthusiasts for it refers to a small-caliber handgun that is commonly used in the United States and Canada.
Space Nuclear Systems
- It is a widely used system that includes radioisotope power systems that are used to produce heat and electricity in outer space.
Site Navigation System
- It is a computing system that helps direct vessels to any point of location.
In the past, the term Social Networking Sites is a common term familiar to the general public. These three letters refer to all platforms that offer similar services. Since it contains too many words, people have started using the term Social Media. Social Networking Sites and Social Media are the same and which terminology to use is of personal preference.
When to Use This Acronym
The instances when you can use the acronym is when you refer to a platform that provides Social networking service. When you talk about Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, LinkedIn, Snapchat, Pinterest, and TikTok, you can use the general term, SNS. These Social Networking Sites provide the service, and it clearly defines what the acronym is all about.
Examples of This Acronym
Examples in Statements
- Social Networking Sites have served as a go-to place for people who need to be isolated.
- When I feel depressed, I visit my favorite Social Networking Sites, and I feel revived again.
- A: What do you do in your free time?
- B: I check my Social Networking Sites and see if there are anything interesting updates that I can see.
- A: Me too. That’s my favorite past time.
Other Words to Use Instead of This Acronym
Aside from Social Networking Sites, you can also say Social Media which is a term recognized by all these days.
SNS Meaning | Image