List of Sports and Games! Useful sports list with pictures and examples in English. When it comes to talking about hobbies and interests, being able to refer to the different names of sports in English can be of a real benefit. This is very useful knowledge if you are passionate about playing or watching sports and would like to begin talking about this with English speakers. It is also great for reading about sports such as in newspaper articles or online.
In this section, you are going to be learning the correct English names for a variety of sports which will improve your vocabulary and build you confidence in both speaking and listening.
List of Sports
Sport includes all forms of competitive physical activity or games which through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical ability and skills while providing enjoyment to participants, and in some cases, entertainment for spectators.
- Figure skating
- High jumping
- Hang gliding
- Car racing
- Table tennis
- Billiards/ Pool (U.S.)
- Horse racing
- Horseback riding
- Football (U.K)/ Soccer (U.S., Australia)
Learn these sports and games names to improve and enhance your vocabulary words about different types of sports.
List of Sports Image
Games and Sports List with Pictures and Examples
List of sports and games in English with example sentences, illustrated with interesting pictures.
– Her husband is an archery instructor.
– Badminton can be played by two or four people.
– The crowd loves to watch attacking cricket.
– Do you want to go bowling with us Friday?
– He is the boxing champion of the world.
– She met her friends at a curling club.
– She was one of the best tennis players of her generation.
– These are only a few reasons why skateboarding is so popular.
– They go surfing every weekend.
– They were playing at hockey.
– I like watching figure skating on TV, and rhythmic gymnastics.
– She does yoga for an hour a day.
– He is famous at fencing.
– Physical fitness is having a healthy body.
– We do gymnastics at school.
– He holds a black belt in karate.
– Tim plays for the national volleyball team.
– How many referees are there in a weightlifting competition?
– I am a member of the basketball team.
– Why don’t we go to see a baseball game?
– I play rugby purely for enjoyment.
– He tends to get carried away when watching wrestling on TV.
– That school is famous for high jumping.
– Hang gliding holds no fears for her.
– Sporting events such as car racing give me a headache.
– We did a lot of cycling in France last year.
– Did you go running this morning?
– He loves to play table tennis.
– They can go fishing in the lake.
– Murray is a judo black belt.
– There’s a lot of danger in rock climbing.
Billiards/ Pool (U.S.)
– We had a game of billiards and then went to a restaurant.
– I need more practice at shooting.
– He spent too much money on horse racing.
– Some people like horseback riding, but I prefer golf as a hobby.
– Do you want to play golf tomorrow?
Football (U.K)/ Soccer (U.S., Australia)
– The boys wanted to play football.
Names of Sports and Games | List of Sports Picture
List of Sports and Games Video
Sports video with American English pronunciation.
Learn different types of sports in English with pictures.
- List of sports and games in English.
- Extreme sports vocabulary words with pictures.
- Sport action verbs in English with pictures.