Have you ever heard the term spur of the moment being used in a conversation? If so, you have likely wondered what the phrase means, we are going to find out its meaning as well as taking a look at where the phrase came from in the first instance. We are also going to be looking at some examples of the phrase being used in order to better understand how it functions in conversation.
Spur of the Moment
Spur of the Moment Meaning
The term spur of the moment refers to something that has happened spontaneously or without prior planning.
Origin of the idiom
The phrase spur of the moment finds its origins in the very early 1800s. The word spur can also mean hastily or quickly which explains the meaning of the term.
“Spur of the Moment” Examples
The common idiom spur of the moment can be heard often during spoken English, we are now going to take a look at some examples of its use.
The first is a statement from a text message.
- I know it’s a little spur of the moment but we are going ice skating it you want to join us?
The next statement is from a news report,
- The decision to withdraw troops was quite spur of the moment but it appears to have been the right decision, even if it wasn’t well thought out.
If you are curious to see how the term spur of the moments can work in a conversation, here are some examples to demonstrate this.
The first is a conversation between two friends.
- Person 1: “I am so bored with my life at the minute.”
- Person 2: “I’ve got a good idea, why don’t we go travelling around Asia?”
- Person 1: “That’s a bit spur of the moment, but I love the idea.”
The next conversation is taking place between a girlfriend and her boyfriend.
- Person 1: “I really hate to do this but I don’t want to be in this relationship anymore.”
- Person 2: “This is such a shock, I had no idea you felt this way.”
- Person 1: “I know it might seem a little spur of the moment but I have thought about it.”
More useful examples:
- It wasn’t a spur-of-the-moment decision. We discussed it in detail beforehand.
- We hadn’t planned to go away – it was one of those spur-of-the-moment decisions.
- Use the following list for spur-of-the-moment adventure seeds involving arcane spell casters.
Other Ways to Say “Spur of the Moment”
There are other ways in which you can say the idiom spur of the moment, here are some examples to show this.
- Out of the blue
- Snap decision
- Without a thought