Superlative! Learn the superlative definition and how to use and form superlative adjectives in English with useful grammar rules, ESL pictures, and example sentences.
When an adjective compares three or more things, the superlative form of the adjective is used. Superlatives indicate that the quality or quantity is at its highest or is most intense.
Forming Superlative Adjectives
Learn how to form superlatives in English with examples.
1. Form the superlative forms of a one-syllable adjective by adding –est.
- long – longest
- tall – tallest
2. If the one-syllable adjective ends with an e, just add –st for the superlative form.
- cute – cutest
- large – largest
3. Add –est to adjectives that end in consonant-vowel-consonant and double the last consonant.
- big – biggest
- hot – hottest
1. With most two-syllable adjectives, you form the superlative with most.
- honest – most honest
- famous – most famous
2. If the two-syllable adjectives ends with –y, change the y to i and add –est for the superlative form.
- happy – happiest
- crazy – craziest
3. Two-syllable adjectives ending in –er, –le, or –ow take –est to form the superlative forms.
- narrow – narrowest
- gentle – gentlest
Adjectives with Three or More Syllables
Add most to adjectives that has 3 or more syllables.
- expensive – most expensive
- difficult – most difficult
- good – best
- bad – worst
- far – farthest
- little – least
- many – most
List of affirmative and superlative adjectives in English.
|Examples of Superlative Adjectives|
Forming Superlative Adjectives | Images
Superlative Adjectives: Definition & Examples
Comparative and Superlative Adjectives Video