What are Superlatives?
When an adjective compares three or more things, the superlative form of the adjective is used. Superlatives indicate that the quality or quantity is at its highest or is most intense.
Forming the Superlative Adjective
1. Form the superlative forms of a one-syllable adjective by adding –est.
- long – longest
- tall – tallest
2. If the one-syllable adjective ends with an e, just add –st for the superlative form.
- cute – cutest
- large – largest
3. Add –est to adjectives that end in consonant-vowel-consonant and double the last consonant.
- big – biggest
- hot – hottest
1. With most two-syllable adjectives, you form the supwerlative with most.
- honest – most honest
- famous – most famous
2. If the two-syllable adjectives ends with –y, change the y to i and add –est for the superlative form.
- happy – happiest
- crazy – craziest
3. Two-syllable adjectives ending in –er, –le, or –ow take –est to form the superlative forms.
- narrow – narrowest
- gentle – gentlest
Adjectives with Three or More Syllables
Add most to adjectives that has 3 or more syllables.
- expensive – most expensive
- difficult – most difficult
- good – best
- bad – worst
- far – farthest
- little – least
- many – most