You can jump to any section of this lesson:
What are Superlatives?
Forming the Superlative Adjective
1. Form the superlative forms of a one-syllable adjective by adding –est.
- long – longest
- tall – tallest
2. If the one-syllable adjective ends with an e, just add –st for the superlative form.
- cute – cutest
- large – largest
3. Add –est to adjectives that end in consonant-vowel-consonant and double the last consonant.
- big – biggest
- hot – hottest
1. With most two-syllable adjectives, you form the supwerlative with most.
- honest – most honest
- famous – most famous
2. If the two-syllable adjectives ends with –y, change the y to i and add –est for the superlative form.
- happy – happiest
- crazy – craziest
3. Two-syllable adjectives ending in –er, –le, or –ow take –est to form the superlative forms.
- narrow – narrowest
- gentle – gentlest
Adjectives with three or more syllables
Add most to adjectives that has 3 or more syllables.
- expensive – most expensive
- difficult – most difficult
- good – best
- bad – worst
- far – farthest
- little – least
- many – most