Have you ever heard the term survival of the fittest being used in a conversation and wondered what the speaker was referring to? If so, we are going to show you the meaning of this phrase and learn about where it originally came from. We are also going to take a look at some examples of how the phrase can work within a conversation.
Survival of the Fittest
Survival of the Fittest Definition
The idiom survival of the fittest refers to the fact that only those who are tough enough will endure any given situation.
Origin of this term
The term survival of the fittest comes from a statement made by scientist Charles Darwin who used it to refer to the evolution of various different creatures, saying that only the fittest and strongest would survive.
“Survival of the Fittest” Examples
Examples in Statements
You may see the term survival of the fittest in various contexts, we are now going to look at some examples of things you might see or hear.
The first statement is being made in an advertisement for a training camp.
- If you think you’re made of tough stuff, come and train with us, you will find out the true meaning of survival of the fittest.
The second statement is being made by a father to his son.
- You have to push through this situation, you are the best and you know it, you know what they say, the survival of the fittest.
- The law of the survival of the fittest was not made by man.
- It is survival of the fittest out there and if I had to do it again I believe I would.
- The society is the reality brutal survival of the fittest.
- Survival of the fittest, this one is the law of competition in the market.
We are now going to look at some examples of conversations in which the term survival of the fittest might appear, this will help us better understand how the term is used.
The first is a conversation which is taking place between two friends.
- Person 1: “There is a girl I really like.”
- Person 2: “Then ask her out on a date.”
- Person 1: “It’s not that simple, there is another guy.”
- Person 2: “Prove you’re the better one, survival of the fittest.”
The second conversation is happening between two people talking about nature.
- Person 1: “It is such a shame to see that tigers are facing extinction.”
- Person 2: “It is but they are facing the struggle of battling humans.”
- Person 1: “It is survival of the fittest and sadly the tigers won’t win.”
Other Ways to Say “Survival of the Fittest”
There may be other ways to refer to the meaning of the term survival of the fittest, here are some examples of how you could do this.
- Only the strong survive
- The weak will lose
- Law of the jungle
- Law of the strongest
- Natural selection