You may be familiar with the phrase “swipe left” if you are a user of a particular dating app. On the app, swiping left is literal. What you may not realize is that with the popularity of this app, the phrase has become an idiom, or figure of speech for other aspects of life.
Here you will find the meaning of this phrase in the idiomatic sense and information regarding its origin. You will also see some example conversations and sentences that you can read through to gain a better understanding of this term. Lastly, the article will round up the discussion of the idiom by offering you some alternative words and phrases you can use in place of this phrase to convey the same meaning.
Swipe Left Meaning
This idiomatic phrase means to reject or deny someone or something.
Origin of this the useful idiom
This phrase originated on the dating application Tinder. Users of this dating app view pictures and interests of other users and then decide whether to swipe right to accept them as potential matches or left to deny or reject them. The Tinder app was launched in September of 2012 and the phrase became widely used shortly after to show rejection or denial of things outside of the app as well.
“Swipe Left” Examples
- His physical qualities were unappealing to me so I decided to swipe left.
- If I could turn back time, I would swipe left and never meet any of my exes.
A conversation between two friends.
- Friend 1: Matt invited me to go to the Hamptons with him and his family for Christmas.
- Friend 2: If I were you, I would swipe left on that invitation.
- Friend 1: Why?
- Friend 2: Because you two have only been dating a few months. It is too soon to meet the family, especially on such a major holiday.
- Friend 1: You are probably right. I am just hoping he won’t be upset if I say no.
A conversation between two co-workers.
- Co-worker 1: I think the new secretary has eyes for you.
- Co-worker 2: No thanks, I am swiping left.
- Co-worker 1: Why? She is awfully cute.
- Co-worker 2: Nothing good ever comes from dating your co-workers.
“Swipe Left” Synonyms
There are several synonymous words and phrases that you could use in place of this idiom in conversation. Some of the other words or phrases that you could use to replace this phrase and maintain the same meaning include:
- I’ll decline
- I reject
Swipe Left Meaning | Image
Last Updated on March 21, 2020