The phrase “take care” is used daily by a majority of people. It is one of the most popular idioms used today. Here you will find the meaning of this idiom, information about its origin, some example sentences and conversations, and some alternatives words or phrases that you can use in its place.
Take Care Meaning
The idiomatic phrase “take care” can mean two different things. The first meaning that can be attached to this phrase is to advise someone to be careful or watch out for things. The second meaning of this phrase is as an expression to bid someone farewell or goodbye.
Origin of this idiom
The phrase “take care” has been used since the 1580s in the first sense stated above. The word “care” itself means to feel concern for something or show interest in something.” The term is a Middle English term that has been used since the 900s. When the word “take” was added to the word “care” it took on the meaning stated above as telling someone else to show concern and great interest in something.
“Take Care” Examples
- You should take care and get to know someone before agreeing to marry them.
- I hope you all get home safe, take care.
- Take care when you walk on that path – the paving stones are rather uneven.
- Always take care when driving down steep hills.
- Take care! Fish is able to throw the hook.
- Take care! I’ll be thinking of you.
- Take care! See you next week!
A discussion between father and son.
- Son: I need some advice, dad.
- Father: Okay, I am all ears.
- Son: I like these two girls at school, but I can’t decide which one I am more interested in.
- Father: Well, sit down and give it a great deal of thought. Take care to pay attention to even the smallest things. Then make your choice based on what your gut tells you.
A discussion between two co-workers.
- Co-worker 1: Okay, I am out of here for the day. I will see you all tomorrow.
- Co-worker 2: Bye, Henry. Take care and drive home safe!
Alternatives to “Take Care”
There are several words or phrases you can use as a synonym for the phrase “take care” depending on which context stated above the phrase is being used. Some of the alternative words or phrases you could use include:
- Use caution
- Watch out
Take Care Meaning | Picture