We live in a world which centres around various types of tech and these words are definitely needed in our day to day lives. Being able to talk about technology will be a huge benefit in work, school and every day conversation. It will also benefit you when reading English such as in a newspaper or online since the mention of technology is so frequent.
After reading through this section, you will confidently be able to refer to a variety of technology related things in English.
Tech Gadgets List
- MP3 player
- Hard drive
- Digital camera
- Memory stick
- Floppy disc
- Memory card
Technology Vocabulary Words with Pictures
A mouse is a computer input device used for moving the cursor on the screen and selecting items by clicking buttons. It is typically handheld and has a rolling ball or a laser sensor at the bottom that detects movement.
- Example: I use a wireless mouse with my laptop because it allows me to work more efficiently without having to use the touchpad.
An mp3 player is a portable electronic device that plays digital audio files in the mp3 format.
- Example: I always carry my mp3 player with me when I go for a run so I can listen to my favorite music.
A webcam is a digital camera that is connected to a computer and used to transmit live video over the internet.
- Example: I use my webcam to video chat with my friends and family who live far away.
A hard drive is a computer component that stores and retrieves digital data using magnetic storage.
- Example: I need to upgrade my computer’s hard drive because I’m running out of storage space for my photos and documents.
A microphone is an electronic device that converts sound waves into an electrical signal, allowing it to be amplified or recorded.
- Example: The singer’s voice was so clear and powerful thanks to the high-quality microphone she was using.
A digital camera is an electronic device that captures and stores digital images and videos.
- Example: I love using my digital camera to take photos of beautiful landscapes and interesting people when I travel.
A headphone is a pair of small speakers that are worn over the ears and connected to a device such as a phone, computer, or music player. They allow the user to listen to audio without disturbing others around them.
- Example: I put on my headphones to listen to some music while I work.
A memory stick is a small, portable storage device that can be used to store and transfer digital data such as documents, photos, music, and videos. They are also known as USB flash drives or thumb drives.
- Example: I saved my presentation on a memory stick so that I could easily transfer it to my colleague’s computer.
A floppy disc is a storage medium that was used in computers in the past. It is a thin, flexible magnetic disk that is enclosed in a plastic case. They were used to store small amounts of data such as documents and images.
- Example: When I was in school, we used to save our projects on a floppy disc and bring it to class to work on the computer.
A router is a device that connects multiple devices to a network and directs traffic between them. It is commonly used in homes and offices to connect computers, smartphones, and other devices to the internet.
- Example: I had to reset the router to fix the internet connection in my house.
A computer is an electronic device that can be programmed to perform various tasks, such as processing data, storing information, and running software applications.
- Example: I use my computer to write documents, browse the internet, and play games.
A laptop is a type of computer that is portable and designed for use on the go. It typically has a built-in screen, keyboard, and battery, and can be easily carried in a backpack or briefcase.
- Example: I brought my laptop to the coffee shop so I could work on my project while enjoying a latte.
A memory card is a small electronic device used for storing digital data, such as photos, videos, and music. It is commonly used in digital cameras, smartphones, and other portable devices to expand their storage capacity.
- Example: I bought a new memory card for my camera so I can take more photos on my upcoming trip.
A printer is a device that produces a physical copy of a digital document or image. It can be connected to a computer or other device and can print in black and white or color.
- Example: I need to print out my resume for the job interview, so I’m going to use the printer in the library.
Tools and Equipment Vocabulary
List of tools & equipment classified by different categories.
Household items list:
- List of kitchen utensils and kitchen tools with pictures.
- Household tools, devices and equipment in English.
- Household appliances vocabulary words list.
- Household cleaning supplies in English.
Other tools, devices, appliances and equipment:
- List of tech gadgets in English.
- Laboratory equipment with pictures.
- List of musical instruments in English.
- Photography vocabulary words list.
- List of stationery items and office supplies in English.
- List of tools with pictures.
- Gardening tools vocabulary words list.
Technology Vocabulary Video
Last Updated on November 10, 2023
- Clam vs. Oyster: Difference between Oyster and Clam - December 25, 2023
- Leniency Meaning: What Does “Leniency” Mean? - December 15, 2023
- Rapport Meaning: What Does the Term “Rapport” Mean? - November 28, 2023