Learn Common Telephone Phrasal Verbs in English with meaning and examples.
List of Common TELEPHONE Phrasal Verbs
TELEPHONE Phrasal Verbs
Break – up
- Meaning: Become inaudible over the phone, usually because of a bad connection
- Example: “Sorry, could you repeat that, please? You’re breaking up“.
- Meaning: To telephone someone again or to return a call
- Example: She said she’d call back.
- Meaning: Call someone on the phone
- Example: My dad called me up to tell me the bad news.
- Meaning: When a telephone call finishes because of a bad connection
- Example: We were cut off in the middle of our conversation.
- Meaning: To be connected to a place by telephone
- Example: I finally got through to Tom on his mobile.
- Meaning: Wait for a short time (informal)
- Example: Hang on – I’ll just see if he’s here.
- Meaning: End a telephone call by putting the phone down
- Example: After I hung up I remembered what I’d wanted to say.
- Meaning: Wait for a short time
- Example: Could you hold on a moment, please?
- Meaning: Answer the telephone call
- Example: The phone rang and rang and nobody picked up.
- Meaning: Connect by phone
- Example: Could you put me through to the manager, please?
- Meaning: Speak louder
- Example: Can you speak up a bit? It’s very noisy here.
Get back to someone
- Meaning: Telephone someone later
- Example: I’ll find out and get back to you soon.
- Meaning: Finish talking on the phone
- Example: I just got off the phone with Dad. He is keeping well.
- Meaning: Disconnect using the power button
- Example: It’s good to turn off the phone while charging.
- Meaning: Connect using the power button
- Example: Your own greeting is displayed instead of an animation when you turn on the phone.
- Meaning: (A message) – To communicate (to convey) a message to someone else
- Example: Did you pass on my message to him?
- Meaning: Call in by telephone to a central person or central point.
- Example: I have to phone in and report the changes.
Useful Telephone Phrasal Verbs | Image 1
Useful Telephone Phrasal Verbs | Image 2
English Phrasal Verbs by Topic
How to Learn Phrasal Verbs Fast? – Learn Phrasal Verbs by Topic.