Have you heard a speaker using the term thick as thieves? If you have, you may have wondered what the saying meant or where it came from. In this article, we are going to be taking a look at the meaning of the saying as well as finding out a little bit about the origin. We will also be looking at some examples of how to use the term in conversation and in a sentence.
Thick as Thieves
Thick as Thieves Meaning
The meaning of the term thick as thieves refers to a closeness between two people, it describes a friendship which is very intimate and bonded.
Origin of the term
The term thick as thieves finds its beginnings in the 1800s. At this time thieves were considered to be very close to one another as they tended to operate in groups.
“Thick as Thieves” Examples
Examples in Sentences
We are now going to take a look at some examples of you might use the term thick as thieves in a sentence, this will assist us to further understand how the phrase functions.
The first statement is being made by a teacher about her students.
- The two girls are as thick as thieves, they are always together and getting up to mischief.
The next statement is being made by a woman about her friend.
- Myself and Linda have been friends for years, we are as thick as thieves.
There are many times in which the phrase thick as thieves might show up in day to day conversation. Let’s now take a look at some examples of what you might hear.
The first example conversation is taking place between two parents.
- Person 1; “I think our kids have been getting up to trouble with one another.”
- Person 2; “I agree, but they would never admit it to us, they wouldn’t want to get each other into trouble.”
- Person 1; “We could try to get them to talk to us.”
- Person 2; “You’ve got no chance, they are as thick as thieves.”
The next conversation is taking place between two co workers.
- Person 1; “I have had enough of Dave not pulling his weight around here.”
- Person 2; “Me too, perhaps we should complain to the boss.”
- Person 1; “He wouldn’t listen, he and Dave are as thick as thieves.”
Other Ways to Refer to the Idiom
There are a number of other ways in which you might express the meaning of the term thick as thieves, let’s take a look at some of these now.
- Like two peas in a pod
- As close as brothers/sisters
Thick as Thieves Definition | Image