You may have heard someone use the term thumbs up during a conversation and pondered what they were referring to? If so, we are going to be looking at the meaning of this idiom as well as taking a look at some examples of how it can be used. We will also find out where the saying first came from by taking a look at a little history behind it.
Thumbs Up Meaning
The term thumbs up means good, good job or a positive affirmation.
Origin of the phrase
The phrase thumbs up can be dated back to Roman times when gladiator fights took place. The fete of the gladiators would be dictated by the audience, who would hold up their thumbs to indicate that they approved.
“Thumbs Up” Examples
Examples in Sentences
We are now going to look at some examples of times in which the term thumbs up might be used within a sentence.
The first statement is being made by a doctor to his patient.
- You have been taking your medicine very well, you get a thumbs up from me.
The second statement is one being made by a teacher.
- The children were all so happy with the new playground that they all gave it the thumbs up.
There may be many different conversations in which the term thumbs up could appear, we are now going to take a look at some examples of times you may hear the term in use.
The first example of a conversation is one taking place between two friends.
- Person 1; “Shall we go out on Monday?”
- Person 2; “Yes, where do you want to go?”
- Person 1; “I was thinking a movie and then some drinks.”
- Person 2; “I’ll give that the thumbs up.”
The next conversation is taking place between a teacher and a student.
- Person 1; “Miss, what do you think of my essay?”
- Person 2; “I thought it was excellent, one of the best I have read. It certainly gets a thumbs up from me.”
- The financial markets have given the thumbs up to the new policy.
- The authorities have given the thumbs up to our planning application.
- Most civilians give the thumbs up to the policy of the government.
- An astronaut, dressing for the mission, gives a quick thumbs up to a cameraman.
- Except for the ending theme, I’d give this soundtrack a thumbs up.
Other Ways to Refer to the Idiom
There are some other ways in which you might express the meaning of the term thumbs up.
Let’s take a look at some other things you can say which carry the same meaning.
- I agree
- That’s great
Thumbs Up | Picture