You may have often heard the term tie the knot used in an English conversation, but what does this phrase mean? We are going to look at the meaning of the term as well as finding out where it first came from. We will also be looking at some ways in which the phrase can be used during day to day conversation.
Tie the Knot
Tie the Knot Meaning
The phrase tie the knot refers to the act of getting married.
Origin of the phrase
The term tie the knot refers to a ceremony in which the couple who were to be wed were literally tied together.
“Tie the Knot” Examples
Examples in statements
There may be many occasions in which you see the term tie the knot being used. We are now going to look at some examples of the phrase being used in a sentence.
The first statement is being made on a wedding invitation.
- Please come and celebrate with us as we tie the knot.
The second is a statement being made in a magazine about a famous couple.
- The couple have been together for twenty years, and today they finally tied the knot.
We are now going to take a look at some examples of conversations in which the term tie the knot may appear.
The first conversation is taking place between two people who have just become engaged.
- Person 1: “I am so happy that we decided to get married.”
- Person 2: “Me too but there is so much to plan now.”
- Person 1: “It will be hard work but it will be totally worth it once we tie the knot.”
The second conversation is happening between two friends.
- Person 1: “I think I am going to ask Anna to marry me.”
- Person 2: “That is great news but we need to have a holiday before you tie the knot.”
- I wish you to tie the knot, a harmonious union lasting a hundred years! A happy newlywed, sweet sweet honey!
- My fiance and I will tie the knot next April.
- Against all odds, they tie the knot. Their friends call it Gringo Wedding.
- Why did you pick that particular date to tie the knot?
Other Ways to Say the Idiom
There are other ways in which you might express the term tie the knot. Let’s take a look at some examples of this.
- Get hitched
- Sign your life away
- Get married
What Does “Tie the Knot” Mean? | Picture
Last Updated on December 15, 2022