The idiomatic phrase “tight ass” is one you may hear or see frequently in everyday conversation and writing. Here you will find the definition of the phrase and the story of its origin. You will also find useful examples of how to properly use this phrase in everyday conversations/statements and other ways to say this phrase while conveying the same meaning.
Tight Ass Meaning
This idiomatic phrase can have two meanings. The meaning being used is implied by the context the phrase is used in. The first meaning of the word “tight ass” is a phrase used to describe someone who appears to be unable to have fun or someone who interferes with the fun others are having. The second meaning of the phrase “tight ass” is a phrase used to describe someone who is selfish or stingy with their money. In either regard, it is considered a mildly vulgar slang term.
Origin of this idiom
The phrase idiom“tight ass” first appeared in 1969 in a novel titled Portnoy’s Complaint by author Phillip Roth. When the phrase started being used it was used in reference to a woman who would not have sex. The phrase entered into the slag dictionary and throughout many years of usage, the phrase adopted the implied meaning it has today.
“Tight Ass” Examples
Examples in Statements
A statement made to a local news reporter when a candidate was asked his thoughts about a fellow city official running for the same office.
- “He might be a good choice for the position of city treasurer. He is a real tight ass. However, I still think I am a better choice.”
A statement made by a celebrity in regards to another celebrity and their decline to attend a charity ball.
- “It is not surprising to me that he would not attend. The man is a real tight ass.”
Examples in Conversations
A conversation between two co-workers after work.
- Co-worker 1: I can’t believe that Stephen invited us to lunch and said he would pay and then left early without paying for even himself.
- Co-worker 2: It doesn’t surprise me at all. Stephen has a real knack for being a tight ass.
A conversation between two people at a charity event.
- Person 1: This is a charity that I hold near and dear to my heart so I donated all I could.
- Person 2: Not me. I just came for the free food and made the minimum donation.
- Person 1: Well, aren’t you a real tight ass!
Other Ways to Say “Tight Ass”
Like most idiomatic phrases, there are several ways to say the phrase and convey the same meaning.
Some of the things you could say instead include
- You are stingy person
- You are so cheap
- You are selfish
Tight Ass | Picture
Last Updated on May 30, 2023