What does Toxic mean? This article provides the definition and usage of this internet slang term with ESL infographic and interesting conversation examples in English.
What Does Toxic Mean?
A phrase used when talking about a video game player who is irritating and/or rude. Sometimes a toxic player can simply be a person making a situation more difficult than it has to be. Being a ‘toxic‘ person is simply causing and spreading hate.
Similar Slang Words
‘Salty’ is what a player will be called when they are being rude, irritating, irrational, or simply causing the game or activity to be harder than necessary.
- R6 Player 1: (You watch the player run over to another player and intentionally shoot the other player in the head)
- R6 Player 2: (The shot player) OMG man what did you do!
- R6 Player 1: (In the next round he runs over and shoots another player in the head.)
- R6 Player 2: You did it again, man stop being toxic!
During games such as R6 (Rainbow 6 Siege), many will get called ‘toxic’ for killing team members or resulting in the death of a team member. Sometimes it can be as simple as one player just causing the game to be harder.
- Minecraft Player 1: OMG kill him.
- Minecraft Player 2: Why?
- Minecraft Player 3: (Takes yet another bucket of lava and dumps it on Player 1’s house.)
- Minecraft Player 1: I mean it, please kill him he did it again.
- Minecraft Player 2: No, you do it I don’t want to be called toxic.
- Minecraft Player 1: You aren’t he is, KILL HIM. Kill that toxic noob.
- Minecraft Player 3: (Kicked from the server.)
- Minecraft Player 2: Am I toxic now for kicking him?
- Minecraft Player 1: LOL
Here you experience a player in the popular game Minecraft trying to build his home and getting torched in lava by a toxic player just trying to cause him harm without killing him instantly. The other player worries about being called ‘toxic’ simply for helping his friend.
- OMG – Oh My God or Oh My Gosh
- LOL – Laugh Out Loud
- Person 1: You suck.
- Person 2: What?
- Person 1: You heard me.
- Person 2: What I do?
- Person 1: You just suck and I don’t like you.
- Person 2: Wow why so toxic.
This is a simple situation where someone is being ‘toxic’ to another person calling them names and telling them they don’t like them when the other person has done nothing wrong. Making the name-caller ‘toxic’.