Learn useful transportation vocabulary in English with pictures and video.
Transportation is the movement of humans, animals and goods from one location to another.
Modes of transport include air, land, water, cable, pipeline and space. The field can be divided into infrastructure, vehicles and operations.
Transport is important because it enables trade between people, which is essential for the development of civilizations. Transport infrastructure consists of the fixed installations including roads, railways, airways, waterways, canals and pipelines and terminals such as airports, railway stations, bus stations, trucking terminals, refueling depots and seaports.
List of common vehicles, vehicle parts and transportation vocabulary in English.
You can jump to any section of this lesson:
Vehicles and Modes of Transportation Vocabulary
First of all, learn English Vocabulary for Vehicles through pictures.
Types of Ships and Boats
Secondly, let’s learn different Types of Ships and Boats.
A ship is a large watercraft that travels the world’s oceans and other sufficiently deep waterways, carrying passengers or goods, or in support of specialized missions, such as defense, research and fishing.
A boat is a watercraft of a large range of sizes designed to float, plane, work or travel on water.
List of Ships and Boats:
Types of Trucks
Thirdly, we will learn different Types of Trucks in English.
A truck or lorry is a motor vehicle designed to transport cargo.
Let’s learn english vocabulary for Types of Trucks.
- Tow truck
- Fire engine
- Cement mixer
Parts of A Car Vocabulary
Fourthly, we will learn Different Parts of A Car in English.
These are some parts of a car you should know:
- Bumper – a bar fixed on the front and back of a car to protect it if it hits anything
- Bonnet – the metal lid over the front of a car
- Windscreen – the large window at the front of a car
- Boot – an enclosed space at the back of a car, used for carrying bags
- windscreen wiper – a long thin piece of metal with a rubber edge that moves across a windscreen to remove rain
Parts of a Car – Video.
Parts of A Bicycle Vocabulary
Fifthly, let’s learn English Vocabulary for Different Parts of A Bicycle.
Here is a list of bicycle parts and their functions:
- Brake lever – a lever for actuating a bicycle brake
- Rim – that part of a wheel to which the tire is attached and often forms part of the braking mechanism
- Seat – what a bicyclist sits on
- Handlebar – a lever attached, usually using an intermediary stem, to the steerer tube of the fork.
- Chain – a system of interlinking pins, plates and rollers that transmits power from the front sprocket(s) to the rear sprocket(s)
Bicycle Parts Vocabulary – Video.
Parts of a Motorcycle | Transportation Vocabulary
Sixthly, a motorcycle often called a bike, motorbike, or cycle is a two or three-wheeled motor vehicle. Motorcycle design varies greatly to suit a range of different purposes: long distance travel, commuting, cruising, sport including racing, and off-road riding.
These are parts of a motorcycle:
Parts of an Aircraft Vocabulary
Finally, an aircraft is a machine that is able to fly by gaining support from the air. It counters the force of gravity by using either static lift or by using the dynamic lift of an airfoil, or in a few cases the downward thrust from jet engines. Common examples of aircraft include airplanes, helicopters, airships, gliders, and hot air balloons.
- hold – the area in a plane or ship that is used for goods, vehicles, or bags
- nose – the front part of an aircraft
- jet engine – a type of engine that combines air and burning fuel to create power for a jet plane
- tailplane – either of the parts at the back of a plane that look like small wings
- wings – one of the long flat parts on both sides of a plane that allow it to fly
- fin – a part on the back of an aircraft that sticks out and helps it to move smoothly
- flap – a part of the wing of a plane that moves up and down to help to control the plane