The idiomatic phrase “tried and true” is a phrase that you may encounter being used in everyday informal conversation and writing. Here you will find the meaning of this phrase and the information regarding its origin. You will also find some examples of how to properly use this phrase in conversations/statements and you will discover alternative ways to say this phrase while still conveying the same meaning.
Tried And True
Tried And True Meaning
The idiomatic phrase “tried and true” means that something has been attempted or tested to do something in the past and it proves to work well in similar future situations.
Origin of this idiom
There is not much reliable origin information regarding the phrase “tried and true.” However, it may be likely that this phrase is associated with the activity of working with wood. To create a flat surface on a piece of wood, woodworkers use a tool called a wood plane, or a try plane. Once the wood is perfectly flat, the flat surface is said to be true. The first appearance of the phrase “tried and true” was in 1792.
“Tried And True” Examples
A statement made during an advertisement on television.
- “Our tried and true formula will keep your colors looking bright and your whites truly white.”
A statement made at a charity event for the local hospital.
- “We keep hosting these events because they are a tried and true way to produce the funding we need to treat people who come to our hospital and are in desperate need of medical care but can’t afford it.”
A conversation between two friends talking over coffee.
- Friend 1: I cannot believe that I fell in the park. I am never going to get the grass stains out of these pants.
- Friend 2: Try scrubbing them with some laundry detergent and warm water and then letting that sit for a few minutes before putting them in the washer.
- Friend 1: Does that work?
- Friend 2: It is my tried and true solution. It has worked every time for me.
A conversation between a mother and daughter.
- Daughter: What do I do if a guy acts interested and then all of a sudden pretends like I don’t even exist all in the same day?
- Mom: So, let me get this straight. This guy talked to you and acted interested, but now he’s not acting interested?
- Daughter: Exactly!
- Mom: Don’t do anything. Just wait for him to come back to you. Its a tried and true method. He is wanting you to chase him and you should make him chase you. Just act as if you could care less.
- There’s a lot in sales and marketing that tried and true.
- Look for the more creative solution – the tried and true don’t always bring the best results.
- This is a tried and true way of saving water.
- Let’s not forget the tried and true warhorse of the fixed rate loan.
Other Ways to Say “Tried And True”
Like all idioms, there are many alternative ways to say the phrase “tried and true” and still convey the same meaning. Other ways to say this phrase include:
Tried And True Meaning | Picture