What does TWT mean? Learn the definition, how and when to use this internet acronym with ESL infographic and useful conversation examples in English.
What Does TWT Mean?
‘TWT’ is the abbreviation for “Time Will Tell”.
This internet slang term is most commonly used in the early 2000s via text message.
History of TWT
Now on very extremely rare occasions, the abbreviation ‘twt’ has been used for one more instance known as ‘The Window Thing’. A few college students that attended a wealthy school on athletic scholarships kept getting horrible grades. They devised a plan to help keep their grades above average and not get kicked out. The plan was called ‘The Window Thing’ where one would boost the other through a window into an office to change their grades, they communicated via text message saying, “Hey man I need to do twt.” They only got caught when one night the janitor walked in on one that was halfway into the office via the window and hearing the commotion his partner giving a boost took off leaving the poor guy to be stuck half in the window with no place to run.
You can also use ‘twt’ in most chat forums like Tumblr to create a crying emoji.
- Girl Texter: You don’t think we are good together?
- Boy Texter: Babe I just don’t know.
- Girl Texter: But how can you say that are we breaking up?
- Boy Texter: No, idk I guess twt.
Here you see a boy telling a girl explaining he is unsure about whether or not they should be together, but allowing some time to see how it works out.
- idk – I Don’t Know
- E-Mail From Boss: Surprise staff meeting, all must attend.
- Text Worker 1: You get the company message?
- Text Worker 2: OMG I did, you don’t think this is it do you?
- Text Worker 1: Man I sure hope not, today isn’t my day.
- Text Worker 2: Same here I forgot his coffee! He already hates me.
- Text Worker 1: Well I guess twt.
Here you experience some coworkers stressing over a company e-mail wondering if it was evaluation day and hoping they weren’t going to get fired.
- Texter 1: Have you heard from Sam?
- Texter 2: NO! And I think he is going to ask Jen out.
- Texter 2: Yup, I think so. I have lost him.
- Texter 1: Really?
- Texter 2: Yeah, he hasn’t called me since we all hung out. I know he is talking to her.
- Texter 1: Maybe he is busy, you don’t know.
- Texter 2: I lost him I know it.
- Texter 1: Seriously?
- Texter 2: Yeah that’s how I feel but, what do you think?
- Texter 1: I don’t know kinda seems unlikely, but only twt.
Another example would be two friends texting and one is getting stressed out from not hearing from a guy she likes, while her friend tries to tell her just deal with it and wait that only in time will they know how he feels.
TWT Meaning Infographic