Types of Doctors! Learn the names for different types of doctors in English with pictures and examples to enhance your vocabulary words in English. When you go to the hospital, depending on what the problem is will greatly depend on what kind of doctor you will be seen by. Each of these different kinds of doctors will have a different name and it is important to learn these in English so that you know who you will be seeing on your visit to the hospital. You might also need to know this information if your studies or career is based around medicine. In this section, you will be able to learn the English names for the different types of doctors.
Types of Doctors
Medical practitioners are qualified people who work as doctors in a hospital or private practice.
Medical specialists are doctors who have completed advanced education and clinical training in a specific area of medicine (their speciality area).
List of Doctors
- ENT doctor
- Consulting doctor
- Attending doctor
- Duty doctor
- Family doctor
Doctor Names with Pictures and Examples
Here are 12 types of doctors and specialists in various areas in health care profession.
– The surgeon is performing an eye operation.
– A paramedic bandaged his foot.
– I think you ought to see a psychologist.
– A nurse cleaned and bandaged the wound.
– She had a sore throat. She needed to see ENT doctor.
– We had to wait for the pharmacist to make up prescription.
– He is a good consulting doctor.
– Taylor wants to become an attending doctor.
– I got the duty doctor to give her a blood test, for my eyes only.
– You should consult your family doctor for further advice.
– Shelly took the sick cat to a veterinarian.
– I went to my dentist to have a tooth taken out.
Doctor Names List with Pictures
Cardiologist: A doctor who studies or treats heart diseases
Dentist: Someone whose job is to treat people’s teeth
Endocrinologist: A specially trained doctor who has a basic training in Internal Medicine as well.
General practitioner: A medical doctor who treats acute and chronic illnesses and provides preventive care and health education to patients
Microbiologist: A scientist who studies microscopic life forms and processes
Nephrologist: A physician who studies and deals with nephrology
Surgeon: A doctor who does operations in a hospital
Obstetrician: A doctor who has special training in obstetrics
ENT Specialist: A surgical subspecialty within medicine that deals with conditions of the ear, nose, and throat and related structures of the head and neck
Parasitologist: A scientist who studies parasites and their biology and pathology, such as the parasitic diseases caused by them
Pathologist: A physician/ medical doctor who specialises in pathology, which is the diagnosing of disease using organs, tissue, and body fluids
Pediatrician: A doctor who deals with children and their illnesses
Podiatrist: A doctor who takes care of people’s feet and treats foot diseases
Psychiatrist: A doctor trained in the treatment of mental illness
Emergency doctor: A doctor works at an emergency department to care for acutely ill patients
Veterinarian: Someone who is trained to give medical care and treatment to sick animals
Health Vocabulary in English
Learn health vocabulary in English
- List of medical supplies & equipment in English with pictures
- Medicine names in English
- Types of doctors with names and pictures
- At the doctor’s vocabulary: list of illnesses and treatments
- Names of illnesses & diseases in English
Learn common diseases and different types of doctors with American English pronunciation.