Learn when to use NO ARTICLE in English with useful rules and examples.
When to Use NO ARTICLE | 7 Rules
1. We usually use no article to talk about things in general.
Milk is good for you.
Men are always fond of soccer.
2. We do not use an article when talking about sports and games.
Let’s go and play basketball.
Badminton is an indoor game.
He loves to play table tennis.
3. Do not use article before the names of countries unless the name suggests that the country is made up of smaller units or constituent parts.
Use the – the UK (United Kingdom), the USA (United States of America), the Irish Republic… (Kingdom, state, republic and union are nouns, so they need an article.)
4. Do not use article before the name of language.
Examples: We are learning English.
5. Do not use article before the names of railway stations when they are also place names.
6. Do not use article before the names of meals if they refer to the meals generally, as a part of the daily routine.
They invited some friends to dinner.
We had beef steak for dinner.
But the must be used when the meal is a particular one, thought of as a social function.
The wedding breakfast was held in a beautiful garden.
7. Do not use article before noun + number.
You’ll be leaving from Gate 5 on the eastern concourse.
The laboratory is in room 6 on the third floor.