The phrase vice versa might be heard regularly during English conversation. If you have ever heard the phrase being used, you may have mused over its meaning. We will now be taking a look at the meaning of this phrase as well as looking at how it might be used within a sentence. We will also look at where the saying came from in the first place.
Vice Versa Meaning
The idiom vice versa refers to something being the opposite way around.
Origin of this phrase
The origin of the term vice versa can be found in the Latin language, in which it means to be in a turned position.
“Vice Versa” Examples
Examples in Sentences
You are likely to hear the term vice versa being used quite often within a sentence, but what does this sound like? Here we will look at some examples of this.
This first statement is being made by a policeman.
- We explained to the victim that they should keep in touch with us if they had any more information and vice versa.
The next sentence is one which is being said by a mother to her son.
- If you wipe the dishes and your sister cleans the plates or vice versa, that would be a great help.
If you are curious to see how the phrase vice versa might be used in a conversation, you can do this by taking a look at the following examples of conversations in which the term might be said.
The first conversation is taking place between a boss and an employee.
- Person 1; “Could you take a look at these emails please?”
- Person 2; “Yes of course, what do you need to know about them?”
- Person 1; “Just who sent them, read the top one first and then the rest or vice versa. It will make sense both ways.”
This second conversation is happening between two friends.
- Person 1; “We are going out this weekend aren’t we?”
- Person 2; “Yes, to the shops and then to the bar or vice versa.”
- You can cruise from Cairo to Aswan or vice versa.
- War is the continuity of policies during peacetime, and vice versa.
- Teachers qualified to teach in England are not accepted in Scotland and vice versa.
- We could go from pitch black to brightness in the blink of an eye-and vice versa.
- If a project is going to generate high income, then the capital grant will be smaller, and vice versa.
Other Ways to Say “Vice Versa”
You are likely to hear the term vice versa being referred to by using other words.
Let’s take a look at some examples of how this might look.
- The other way around
- Back to front
- On the contrary
- In contrast
- The opposite way
Vice Versa Meaning | Picture
1 thought on “Vice Versa: Meaning and Examples of this Popular Term”