Weather vocabulary words! What’s the weather like today? Learn useful weather terms with pictures and examples to improve and increase your vocabulary words in English. Being able to talk about the weather in English can benefit you during a lot of conversations. For example, you might like to talk about travel and holidays and explain what the weather was like, or you might like to discuss upcoming weather in conjunction with any plans you are making (is it going to rain when you plan to go to the beach, for example?) Being able to recognise weather words will also help you to understand English weather forecasts which can come in extremely handy.
Weather is the state of the atmosphere, describing for example the degree to which it is hot or cold, wet or dry, calm or stormy, clear or cloudy.
Weather Words List
Weather Terms with Pictures and Examples
The weather was surprisingly warm and sunny.
On rainy days, we play games in the gym.
It’s too windy to go out in the boat.
We were going to play football, but it was so hot that we decided to do otherwise.
Tomorrow will be cloudy with outbreaks of rain and drizzle.
The sky was dark and stormy.
It’s cold and you should cover up warmly.
We’ve had a very snowy winter this year.
The rain will continue into the evening.
The drizzle had now stopped and the sun was breaking through.
Life is like a rainbow. You don’t always know what’s on the other side, but you know it’s there.
Her skin was as white as snow.
Weather Vocabulary Words Picture
Useful Weather Words & Weather Terms
Weather Vocabulary Words List
- Bright – The weather was bright and sunny.
- Blazing – The sun was blazing down that afternoon.
- Sunlight – I was dazzled by the sunlight.
- Sunshine – It was a cool day with fitful sunshine.
- Drizzling– It’s been drizzling all day.
- Pouring – It was absolutely pouring with rain.
- Raining – It is raining cats and dogs.
- Lashing – The rain was lashing the windows.
- Cloudy – It was so cloudy that the top of the mountain was invisible.
- Gloomy – It was a wet and gloomy day.
- Foggy – It was foggy and the sun shone feebly through the murk.
- Overcast – The sky was soon overcast.
- Clear – His visit came out of a clear sky.
- Mist – The sun will evaporate the mist.
- Haze – The sun was surrounded by a golden haze.
- Dense fog – The airport was closed in by the dense fog.
- Patchy fog – Drizzle and patchy fog are forecast.
- Snowfall – There was very little snowfall last year.
- Sleet – The rain was turning to sleet.
- Snowstorm – The snowstorm will last till tomorrow afternoon.
- Snowflake – A single snowflake landed on her nose.
- Blizzard – Eleanor arrived in the midst of a blizzard.
- Breeze – A cold breeze was blowing hard.
- Blustery – The day was cold and blustery.
- Windy – It was windy and Jake felt cold.
- Windstorm – The sea was choppy today because of the windstorm.
- Hurricane – A hurricane hit the city yesterday at 5 p.m.
- Hot – The weather was hot, without a breath of wind.
- Warm – It is nice and warm today.
- Cool – It was a lovely cool evening.
- Cold – The cold weather exhilarated the walkers.
- Freezing – It is freezing cold now.
- Landslide – The railroad was blocked by a landslide.
- Avalanche – They were killed by an avalanche in the Swiss Alps.
- Storm – The weather forecast is for severe storms tonight.
- Drought – They are preparing against a drought.
- Earthquake – We had an awful earthquake last week.
Weather Vocabulary: Useful Weather Words & Terms Image
Natural World Vocabulary
Learn useful natural world vocabulary in English.
- Nature words in English.
- Universe and space words with pictures.
- Natural disasters list with images.
- Weather vocabulary words with pictures.
Weather video in English.