What does “wee” mean? Chances are that you are here because you have just heard the slang term “wee” used for the first time and you don’t know what it means. It is also likely that you will hear this term again at some point because it is a term that is frequently used in many contexts. Here you will find the meaning of this term, details of its origin, and some other meanings to that the next time you come across this term you will be familiar with it.
You will also see some conversation examples so you can see how the term is used properly in context and to help you further understand its meaning. Finally, you will discover some words with similar meanings that you can use in place of this term without changing its meaning.
What Does “Wee” Mean?
This slang term is most often used online and in text messages to describe something or someone who is small or tiny in stature.
Origin of “Wee”
The term is said to have first been used in the 15th-century to be a descriptive word meaning something extremely small. It was derived from Old English and is most used in the country of Ireland and Scotland.
This slang term has many other meanings. It can be used to refer to a male’s private part, the penis. It can also be used as an expression of excitement. The term can be used as a slang term for urination as well. Sometimes it is paired together with itself to refer the private area of a male and urination also.
A conversation via text message between father and son.
- Son: Dad, can I ask you a question?
- Father: Of course.
- Son: Did you ever do anything that you regret in life??
- Father: I did many things that I regret doing when I was a wee lad. However, I used everything as a learning experience and became a stronger person despite them all. Everyone has regrets son, but we move past them and use them to make our lives better.
- Son: Thanks, Dad. That makes me feel better.
An online conversation between two Twitter users.
- User 1: I am a wee bit pissed off at the moment.
- User 2: Why?
- User 1: Because some dude I don’t even know tried to talk to me like he knew me or something.
- User 2: Oh, pay no attention to a loser like that. You know your own truth. His opinion doesn’t matter.
Synonyms for “Wee”
There are several other words that are similar in meaning that you could use to replace this term. Some other words that you could use include:
Wee Meaning Infographic