You will not hear or see the term “weeb” used as much on the internet or in-text unless you know certain types of people who like a specific type of thing. If you have happened along with this term, wondered what it meant, and it led you here, then you are in luck. On this page you will find the meaning of this term, information about its origin, some alternative meanings if there are any, some example conversations showing the term used properly, and some alternative words or phrases that are synonymous with this term and can be used interchangeably.
What Does Weeb Mean?
Origin of Weeb
The term “weeb” was first used on a social media site known as 4chan. It was first recorded being used on Twitter in 2010 and on other sites in 2011 and 2012. A search of Google reveals that the term was first used in 2011. It is most often used on social media and other sites as a derogatory term to describe a person who is obsessed with anime or manga and the Japanese culture, so much so that they believe the Japanese culture is superior in many ways to their own.
A search of the term “weeb” will reveal that there are many other meanings of the term “weeb.” However, there are too many to list them all here. Some of the other meanings include a slang term for “dick,” a stupid or weird person, an alternative term for the word wig, a creature that is sub-human, a person that no one likes, or the name given to the penis of a monkey or any other type of primate.
A text discussion between two friends.
- Friend 1: I like Tony and all, but he is such a weeb!
- Friend 2: I think you mean dweeb, as in nerd.
- Friend 1: No, I mean weeb. He is obsessed with everything Japanese from anime to learning the language.
- Friend 2: Oh I see what you mean and agree. I think he would rather be Japanese as much as he talks about it.
An online conversation between two Instagram users.
- User 1: (Posts a picture of some art they drew) These are some pictures that I drew of some of my favorite anime characters.
- User 2: They are great! You have quite a talent! You can tell you are a weeb!
Alternatives to “Weeb”
There are some alternative words that you can use as an alternative to the term “weeb.” Some of the terms that you could use include: