What does Welp mean? Are you looking for the definition of this online term with texting conversation examples? You have come to the right place! here we are going to explain how and when to use this slang word with useful ESL infographic.
What Does Welp Mean?
‘Welp‘ is a way of saying something like ‘oh well‘. The phrase is most commonly used to express a feeling of great disappointment. Many who use ‘welp’ and aren’t disappointed are using it as a way of saying things like ‘well, so now you know‘.
Origin of Welp
Many shows from the 1990s such as ‘Dumb and Dumber’ starring Jim Carrey are where the word ‘welp’ was first recognized and started growing in popularity.
Academic studies actually say the term ‘welp’ was first acknowledged in 1946 by author Dwight Bolinger in an essay entitled ‘Thoughts On Yep and Nope’.
Other Slang Words With Similar Meaning
‘Whelp’ is yet another form of ‘welp’, they have the same meaning just a slightly different spelling and during text messages, many will add the ‘h’. However ‘whelp’ is actually defined in the dictionary of being what the young of bears, dogs, and etc. are called right after birth.
Ways you will find this internet slang term used.
- Girl: Wow.
- Guy: I know don’t you like it?
- Girl: Uh.
- Guy: Come one I worked all day painting this just for you.
- Girl: Welp I guess thank you.
Here you have a girl very unsure what to say about the guys painting he did for her because she really doesn’t like it and doesn’t want to hurt his feelings.
- Texter 1: You want to finish the science project?
- Texter 2: Really we didn’t get it done?
- Texter 1: Nope, we still have the essay part and should practice our presentation.
- Texter 2: Welp here we go again.
Another way ‘welp’ would be used is in a way of saying ‘here we go again’. Like the poor student here who doesn’t want to work on the science project anymore, yet sadly knows they have to finish it.
- Texter 1: Did you get lunch yet?
- Texter 2: No, hbu?
- Texter 1: Not yet.
- Texter 1: Want to come with me?
- Texter 2: Yes, can you come to pick me up?
- Texter 1: ??
- Texter 2: My car broke down.
- Texter 1: Seriously?
- Texter 2: Yeah
- Texter 1: I can’t right now, you live too far.
- Texter 2: Welp looks like tv dinner it is.
Here you have a conversation about a lunch date and when one can’t get a ride he uses ‘welp’ as a way of saying, ‘Oh well looks like I’m alone again.’
- hbu – How About You or How Bout You
Welp Meaning Infographic